Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pleurodeles

U

username

is there anybody here who keeps Pleurodeles poireti? I've heard that John Clare keeps them but I'm not sure...am I right?
I'd like seeing some photos of this species becaase I want to know if I'm keeping poireti or waltl!
happy.gif

thanks a lot
bye
Leo

M

mark

A chap called Dave Herbert, who keeps dozens of different European amphibians, breeds poireti and waltl. I saw his collection recently, whilst collecting some sallies, and the two really are very different looking. The adult poireti are a fraction of the size of the adult waltl, and are much more brightly coloured, with dark backs/sides and orangey bellies. Hope this helps. Mark.

J

john

I have some adult Pleurodeles poireti (offspring from Dave Herbert, bred in 2000). They are noticeably different from P. waltl in size, but as P. waltl is really quite variable in appearance, it's sometimes hard to make absolute identification based on colouration alone. The eyes look a bit different to my mind, and there is often a yellowish tinge to P. poireti. I'm not at home right now so I don't have recent photos, but here's a photo of a juvenile P. poireti that was on the Species photos section of the forums:

Juvenile Photo

N

nate

There are also three very nice photos of P. poireti at AmphibiaWeb donated by Henk Wallays.

J

john

I'm home now, so here's a photo of an adult pair of Pleurodeles poireti in amplexus. Note the orangish/yellowish colour on the dorsum of the male (bottom animal). They go into amplexus quite frequently when the temperature is on the low side of the mid 20s Celsius. I've seen spermatophores many times, but at the time this photo was taken (late last year) I don't think the females were quite mature.

<CENTER>
636.jpg
</CENTER>

U

username

thanks a lot everybody!
happy.gif

you all have been very kind to me!

for John
could I send you some photos of my Pygmies (to permit you to identify them)?
How could I breed them?Now the T in their acquarium (50liters) is around 23°C...is it too high for breeding?How could I keep them colder?
thanks a lot
Leo

L

laura

John/Mark - what is the size range for an adult poireti? I had no idea they were smaller. This might help me figure out whether I have poireti or waltl.

J

john

Oh, I never saw Leo's post. Hmmm.

Temperature isn't a problem for these animals. I believe a sudden drop in temperature is usually sufficient to stimulate mating behaviour.

Laura - poireti grow to about a normal maximum of 15 cm, but I think exceptionally they can be a little bigger. These are hard to come by so I doubt you have them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1