New Tiger Salamander

C

christian

I found him in my house and having never had a salamander before I don't know to much about him. I was able to find he is a Tiger Salamander, but not sure about the specific type. In my research I found that Barred Tiger Salamanders and Arizona Tiger Salamanders seem to live in my area, but im not sure which he is. Also can someone tell me if he looks healthy?
71019.jpg

May be thin now, but most tigers have voracious appetites - should bulk up well on a diet of earthworms, slugs, crickets, etc. And welcome to the site, always nice to have another Utahn onboard!
Heather

As an update my salamander is doing great. He or she has been named Sammy or at least thats what everyone call him. He fattend up quite a bit, in fact he may be a little over weight. I been feeding him mainly earthworms and crickets which are his favorite.

It is sort of young but I think it is an Arizona Tiger Salamander. What do you keep him in now?

I keep him in a 10 gallon tank. I use cocofibers for the substraight with a water dish for him to crawl in. I also have a couple of large pipes that i cut in half to make some tunnels.

Also I think that he was living in my basement because i found another one a few days ago. The new one seems to be severly starved possible dehydrated. At first he wouldnt eat, but he finally has started to eat. If he survives for a few weeks i would like to keep him with my old salamander. Do you think a 10 gallon tank is large enough for 2?

For now, yes. When they get older and bigger you should try getting them a little bigger tank but it is entirely up to you to decide what you will do next. Good Luck!
happy.gif

I was taking a pic of my new salamander and figured I would put up an update pic of Sammy.
75780.jpg

75781.jpg

Sammy is 'bulking up' nicely. Re your question of maintaining 2 tigers in a 10 gallon aquarium - if they are both small, this size will work. But, as they grow and become larger, the general rule of thumb is 12 linear inches per adult tiger. For 2 adults, a 20 gallon long works well.

or you could bet a large Rubbermaid style tub and cut the top out and put a screen in like i'll be doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back