Tiger Salamander Newbie Perhaps

A

amber

This is following over from the Orientalis page.

Ok - so I've decided to go for one of these wonderful animals. Pref Mavortium.

The ideas I have kicking around so far are:

First, repair the 18" cube viv.

Use the UGF slatted tray to make a slightly raised level, upon which the substrate (coco substrate) will sit.
The raised "floor" will cover just over half, maybe a bit more of the normal floor.

The waterfall will sit on the base floor.

The base floor under the tray will be flooded, just under 2" of water - so that it covers the entire base, and around the waterfall.

Under the raised floor, I will have a little aquarium filter - not only will it "polish" the water, but it will keep it moving, and supply the reservoir for the waterfall - keeping the watersupply and reservoir fresh.
I can easily do water changes then, and I can raise a section of flooring to remove and clean the filter.

I'll use Sphagnum moss and some nylon mosquito netting to make it climb-uppable to the raised floor, and the moss trails a little in the water.

There won't be much substrate to tunnel in, but I intend to make lots of hideyholes and levels with bogwood, slate and corkbark.

I'm also going to pop a foodbowl in to make life easier.

Anything I missed, and any other ideas I could incorporate?

I would advise against such an elaborate water feature for a terrestrial salamander. It will probably cause more problems than it's worth and the salamander probably won't use it. Tiger salamanders need a deep soil substrate with plenty of hiding spots. If you want to include some water a small bowl is sufficient. Hope that helps.

Oh NUTS.
I really wanted to go with that idea, because I've got all the stuff.

*sighs*
Back to the drawing board.

Amber, I would reiterate what Mark has said. Tigers can get very large and an 18" viv will hold a large one nicely. I would recommend having all of the viv as substrate 3-4 inches in depth, either all coco fiber or a mix of this and organic topsoil. A few pieces of wood/falt stones as hides and a shallow water bowl..which can also serve as a hide. Add a plant or two if you like. Be careful of mosses as some can impart acidity to your viv. This won't be necessarily an attractive set-up, but will conducive to the animal's health. Adult tigers are not found in water except during breeding season..an occasional 'dip' in a water bowl is about all a captive tiger will go into the water.

Thank you - that's very helpful and I appreciate it.
It's definitely something I'll keep in mind if my original plan doesn't work out - at the moment I'm just playing and experimenting - I'm not going to have it finished for a LONG time yet...

However, I will come back to this section if I decide that these guys are for me :D
I'm just ticking it over at the moment.

Don't worry - I try not to be irresponsible, and think things over.

I'm off to play with my axies, they've missed me - back soon!

While the occassional dip will suffice, i have been observing mine (am another tiger newbie) and they seem to love messing around in the water! My original female will come out of her cave and wash off every so often, but my other three are spending a lot of time in the water-they swim like stripey aligators-its quite cool! I use a paint roller tray, as it gives a good gradient for them to get in and out easily. I am contemplating making a half and half tanklater on to use as a breeding tank-they dont seem to think they have enough water! I have also heard that they will hunt in the water too-if you drop a cricket on the surface apparently they will chase it-i am going to try this with my more active males when they finally come out of their latest digging period!

Samuel, you do know that tiger salamanders have been bred (legitimately) in captivity maybe one time? They do NOT breed in captivity for the average hobbyist.

How much land is in your tank? How is it set up? If tigers are not offered appropriate land, they'll choose the water, even if it is not optimal.

Yes-i have done extensive research, and am quite aware of their awkwardness when it comes to reproduction-hence my wanting to give it a good bash! I do know it is very very unlikely though-but thanks for the heads up! My tank has aproximately 3 square feet of land-being moss and orchid bark on a thick layer of compost. It is will planted, and has an inclination down to the water, thus providing an osmotic gradient. I carefully monitor environmental conditions-and provide an array of options to allow them to control temperature, humidity and light level to suit themselves. I think the majority of water activity on the first few days was predominantly due to stress of moving, however they do enjoy a good swim now and again. as i said-they swim well, like crocs! As for breeding, i do have a reasonable plan-and if it doesnt work, then ah well!Thankyou for your input though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back