Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eyeless yellow

H

henk

Here's a shot of a yellow eyuless axolotl

21439.jpg

M

mik

Wow, golden albino too. Doesn't seem to have a problem finding food does it?

K

kim

wow!.... No eyes?? yeah as Mik says is he/she able to find food ok?

Whats he/her name?

S

stewart

I saw one of them on the Indiana axolotl colony under the Genetic mutation section.

J

joan

Kind of a correlary to this topic: I have a small, very dark wildtype. I originally assumed it was melanoid because it had no eye-sheen. However, when it got bigger (it did not grow as fast as its siblings, and is still a 'runt'), I realized it doesn't have irises, and has tiny little pupils. They're very small, and do not appear to be functional.

There is no mention of the parents or any other offspring having the same problem. Genetics or development issues? Getting pictures of it is very hard, since it is so dark. I am almost certain that it is a wildtype now because it does have some gold sheen to the gillstalks. However, because it's so dark, maybe axanthism? What's the probability of this? And could the eye-issue be related to axanthism?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!