Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Fun

dot

Reaction score
These two are Bucky and Satchel, my two wildtype axolotls. They're about 4 inches long.

20834.jpg

This is Satchel. Bucky picks on him once in a while, so I'm pretty sure that's why his toes are regrowing strangely.

20835.jpg

This is Bucky. He wasn't really thrilled to be in a little container to get his picture taken.

20836.jpg

The two of them in their tank. Satchel is in the foreground and Bucky's in the background facing the opposite direction. Generally they're on opposite sides of the tank from each other. (Because Bucky picks on Satchel.)

P

peter

Your axolotls are superior to all axolotls, aside from the ones that they are not superior to.

M

mik

Nice pics Dot. You using same size cobbles as i am. Question: are using an undergravel or corner type filter? reason being i found i wasn't getting enough filtration through just cobbles and have now added 40mm layer of smaller gravel below them. just wondering how you achieved adequate filtration.

dot

Reaction score
I've got a cascading carbon filter in the opposite corner of the tank. It's a 10 gallon tank but the filter is made for 20-40 gallon tanks. I was actually amazed at how well it works, because I thought I'd have to get an undergravel filter, but it really does a great job and filters out a lot of the bits and keeps the water flowing just right. The flow dial is turned just right so from where the filter is positioned, the water flows in an oval directly back to the filter, without being too strong for the axies.

L

leighton

Nice choice of names. Let's hope there's no equivalent of Fungo.

F

florent

hello,

I think than this is ambystoma tigrinum larvae, no ambystoma mexicanum. Or maybe a varient of color.

Where did you find this ambystoma ?

;-)

dot

Reaction score
Um, hi.

I'm positive that all four are axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum.) Two of them, the golden albino female and the leucistic male, came indirectly from breeder Michael Shrom and the two wildtype females came from a biological supply company.

I currently have three Ambystoma mavortium, one (A.m.diaboli) of which I raised from larval form. She looked nothing like the wildtypes (who both produced eggs earlier this Spring fathered by the leucistic,) as she was mostly a dark olive green until developing spots before metamorphosis.

J

joan

Tiger sals that are not the normal 'wildtype' color are extremely rare. Albino animals as a whole don't survive much because they get eaten (white's easier to see than brown).

N

nathan

wow! that looks rely affective with the golden albino and the blue stones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1