Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gray Tigers

C

cloth_kitten

Can anyone tell me how common/uncommon are gray tigers (ambystoma mavortium diaboli)?Also does anyone have any figures on which species of tigers are the most common.
many thanks,Cloth.

S

steve

i know where you can get 100's GREYS in waterdog form. email me for info.

C

cloth_kitten

I have a gray and I dont think you'd be able to ship to the UK.I asked for info on numbers of the different species not how many you can catch.
Thanks anyway

N

nate

Grays are quite common in their natural range. In captivity, I'd say they are not as common to find as barred, blotched, or arizona, but not uncommon to get in a bait shop or pet shop.

The species and subspecies of tigers (excluding A. californiense) are about equally common when you're in their range. Eastern tigers have declined in some states due to habitat loss and pollution, but in other states like AR and MO, they are very common.

T

tammy

Help,
I adopted two gray tiger salamanders and one has suddenly stopped eating. He has also just shed a thin layer of skin. My exotic vet has not been able to find any outward sighns of illness and the mouth culture came back clean. I am getting frantic. The water temp is 76 degrees and the ph is between 7.2 and 7.4. Please help!

D

david

The problems probably environmental. Are they terrestrial adults or aquatic larvae. If they're terrestrials then unless you're talking about the water temperature in a bowl, you need a different set up. If they're aquatic larvae, then your temperature is probably too high. They can tolerate 76 for a while but it can cause stress, weaken them, and make them more vulnerable to illness. If he is aquatic and morphing, he wouldn't be needing to eat much either, due to absorbtion of fin and gills and probably eating the skin you said he shed. Can you give some more info?

J

jennifer

Tammy, if these are adult salamanders (no gills) they should NOT be in water at all. That is the source of the problem.

T

tammy

Thank you for your quick responses. They are both adults around five years old. The person that I adopted them from kept them in water with only a rock for five years. Before I adopted them I did research tiger salamanders and discovered that they need to be on land with a bit of water for them to get into if they desire. I created this enviroment for them and that is when Bob stopped eating. When I took him to the vet I explained the situation to her and she told me to put them back into their original enviroment because the change might be stressing them. I gave them more large stones to bask on though. I want to do right by these little guys and need all the help I can get. Thanks

C

chris

Keep them on deep damp soil with hiding places, and only a small water dish - they can drown. Tigers are mole salamanders and are called this for a reason - they burrow into the ground. When they've settled give them earthworms and crickets. If you don't see them eatining, put worms infront of them, turn off the light and walk away for a while. Come back later and see if they've eaten anything.
hope this helps,
Chris

kevin

Reaction score
I have two gray tiger adult salamanders and was wondering if anyone could tell me how long they can live and what types of worms they can eat. For now, all they've been eating are crickets.

T

troy

my dad had a barred tiger live (in captivity) for 16 years . . . it was collected as a large gilled larva/neotenic adult in western Texas. When it finally died, it was a tumor that did it in.

Troy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1