Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Oddly colored eggs

R

richard

My leucistic axolotl is right now leying another set of eggs that are colored strangely. She is leying eggs that are half white and half black. It's like someone dipped them half way into black paint. The last clutch of these developed just fine, with most turning out to be wildtype (although I doubt the egg color has anything to do with the color that develops later). Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Just a curiosity.

P

paris

probably the difference in vegitative/animal poles(dark is animal) what colour is her mate? some eggs have pigment (that will be in the animal side) but i think albinos/leucos will have white like sals that lay under rocks but unlike those who have no need for pigment-its probably a sign of adult colouration. i think this is a sign of them being mostly wildtype (since leuco is recessive). you should see the lines start to blend and fold as the eggs develop. my popei eggs have the 1/2 colour and ones that are white seem to be duds.

R

richard

The bending and folding of the black areas is exactly what they're doing. I'll have to look next time the white one leys eggs... her's usually end up 1/4 wildtype or all wildtype depending on the father. Right now both females, white and leucistic, are in with both males, wildtype and melanoid, in one tank, so it's hard to tell right away who the father is. They're too young to have pigment cells, but I will have to keep track and see if the dark ones turn out consistently different from the white ones.

E

elisheba

Are they developing? Our wildtype pair just laid eggs and we found that the ones that were not viable, not fertilized, or died early were dark with white pigmentation.
This could be what you're seeing?

axolotl.fotopages.com

R

richard

about half the eggs are all white, and the rest are the black and white. All eggs are developing normally. The last time this happened, I think all of them had the half-dark coloration. They all developed normally too. The colors of those ended up being mostly wildtype with a few others(gold I think... still pretty small, but white eyes).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!