Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White toe rot - Serious health problem

A

aimee

Hi
I've recently noticed a white foot rot that has infected my axolotls. It is more noticable on my Wildtype axolotls than my white or golden ones. I have 7 adults in a 4ft tank, no substrate, big gentle filter. I partically change the water every week and do complete water changes every 2 months. I'm thinking it is a bacterial infection. It has come on very suddenly in a matter of 2 days otherwise I would have posted sooner.

6780.gif

6781.gif

6782.gif

6783.gif

6784.gif

Does anybody have any idea what this is? It seems to be eating my axolotls toes/soon-to-be-feet away. I've only ever had these guys ill once with a gill infection which cleared up via salt baths. I've read John Clares health page but it doesn't mention anything like this.

I would quarantine them all but I have not got the space and I am pretty sure they all have it but at the moment the golden's are not showing signs. The worst three are my wildtypes and my leucistic whoses toes are rapidly dissapearing.

I will do a full water change, filter clean out, and give them salt baths ASAP if this is what will help them.

Thanks in advance for any info, I am not sure what kind of infection this is or how to treat it.

C

claire

Hi Aimee

I'd salt bath them as this is a skin surface problem. It's also worth giving the bottom of your tank a good clean as sometimes you can get a nasty bacterial film down there on bare glass -even worse on plastic.

This should clear up quite easily. If the fuzz is not starting to drop off at the end of a week, use some Myxazin in the tank.

J

john

The only instances of this of which I've heard involved build up of bacteria on the tank substrate and the constant contact with the feet led to transfer and the subsequent "rot". I think Claire's advice is good.

axyste

Reaction score
if i was you i would salt bath or fridge for few days and make sure away from other fish they will pick at the weak part

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1