Paramesotriton deloustali?

J

jack

Hi!
I got some Paramesotriton, they were sold as chinensis, but I am nearly sure, they are not! I am not an expert, but I think it is deloustali. They have a large head, and the tail is getting brighter at the end:
79906.jpg

79907.jpg

If you need more pics, just say it.

Nice greetings!

Welcome to the forum.

Well they don't look like P. chinensis thats for sure. Most likely is P. deloustali although I haven't seen any photos of one with such a yellow tail.

Very good pictures too.
happy.gif

P. deloustali is unlikely, as they are rare in the pet trade. Can you show a belly photo? I would guess hongkongensis or fuzhongensis.

I have a group just like this. Some of them actually do have "deloustali-like" ventral patterns. In my opinion they are most similar to hongkongensis.

I have a pretty good series of pictures and they are laying eggs now. I'll try to post them soon.

If you have a good look at the distribution of P. chinensis you will notice that it is very large compared to other Paramesotriton species, s othere is bound to be some geographical variation. Now I also bought some species that were sold as P. chinensis and which show this quite orange tailfine margins. However these animals all have some type of yellow dots colorations in the attachment points of the limbs to the body. Also their ventral pattern show no bright colors but rather faint orange. Some of the specimens are quite dark others very pale but the tail coloraiotn is constant.
I hold both of thes criteria to be for P. chinensis (now I am describing mine , don't know how yours are working out). Also I can nto immediatelly see the warts on the skin, whereas in mine it is clearer.

Thirdly there have been some new Paramesotriton forms that have popped in China and which will most possibly get a descritpion lately. It may well be something new too

Also as if I have not puzzled all of you enough : young animals also seem much more colored then adults. But judging from these images they rather seem adult ...

Here's some shots of mine that show the variety amon them
A belly shot
80424.jpg

Female laterally
80425.jpg

Pale female
80426.jpg

Darker male : see the last white tail ... it was getting out of breeding condition .. but the tail never was entirely white anyway (to reconsider next year I hope)
80427.jpg

The skin texture
80428.jpg

Henk those are some awesome pics, I especially like the last one.
blob.gif

Hi Jack

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Jack Timberlake on Saturday 24 March 2007 - 18:40 (#POST125639):</font>

I was so sure, it was deloustali<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
The belly of P.deloustali looks quite different.
Look here:
01010046-p_d-f-belly.jpg

Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back