Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yellow parts on Paramesotriton larvae

T

timo

Dear caudate colleagues,

I was very fascinated by Paul’s successful P. laoensis breeding attempt. Especially that the larvae are all black without yellow parts.

I know that P. deloustali, P. caudopunctatus and P. hongkongensis have these yellow elements (tail-ridges, gills & around the eyes and nostrils/upper lip).

So my question is, does anybody know if the larvae of P. fuzhongensis, P. guangxiensis and P. chinensis have this coloration as well? Or even better, does anyone know a paper reporting the larval traits of any of these species?

Best wishes
Timo

R

ralf

From my experience P. fuzhongensis-larvae also possess the typical Paramesotriton - colouration.

J

jennifer

I have raised P. caudopunctatus larvae - they also have the typical Paramesotriton yellow/black larvae.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Paul.

The caption in Japanese says that the P. chinensis larva has two sets of lines consisting of yellow dots on each side of its body. This can easily be seen if you copy the photo, enlarge it and then enhance it. I can't post that enhanced photo here without permission but I've e-mailed it to you (and to you too Ralf & Jen...but sorry Timo, I don't have your email address). The caption for the photo of the morphs points out that yellow dots can be seen at the junction where the leg meets the body -- something that distinguishes this species from other Paramesotriton. I can see them...can you?
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by tj on March 09, 2007)

T

timo

Hi Tim and Paul,

there are definitely yellow dots on upper side of the morph's forelegs!!! I can see them, too
lol.gif
As far as I know it's not mentioned in the literature ?!!?!
I've also enlarged the photo of the larvae and I see two lateral rows of yellow dots! The upper one nearly at the same place, as the dorsolateral ridges of adult Paramesotriton. That's interesting, because chinensis' ridges aren't very prominent. Perhaps the yellow lines are a larval feature.

Anyone there who knows about P. fuzhongensis larvae?

Thanks a lot so far!

@Tim: the document about Amphibians of Hongkong is nearly an exact copy of Myers and Leviton ('62)
happy.gif

P

paul

Hi Timo!
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Timo Hartmann on Friday 09 March 2007 - 19:34 (#POST123958):</font>

Anyone there who knows about P. fuzhongensis larvae? <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Read the second post! Ralf already wrote
wink.gif

Paul

J

jennifer

Timo, what is the final summary? If I am reading correctly... all Paramesotriton larvae have "typical" coloration (black with yellow gills/noses), except chinensis and laoensis. Did I miss anything?

P

paul

@Jennifer, my result is - all Paramesotriton (from which we know it) have yellow parts on its body, except laoensis.
But chinensis did not have yellow gills/noses!

Paul

T

timo

Hi Jennifer,

as far as I see you've not missed anything. But I'm still not absolutely sure about chinensis, because the picture is very bad.

Conclusion: I think Paul is right. Laoensis is the big exception! It's all black larvae are another hint for its special position in the genus.

Timo

T

timo

Hi Tim,

thanks for the enlarged photo. But I'm still not sure if it's really that much useful. Because I can't say if the distal gill-elements are yellow, brown or just a little bit brighter than the rest.
BUT: As far as I see this larva doesn't fit the description which is given in Paul's linked pdf-doc anyway. Because it's definitely not uniform black (the already mentioned lateral yellow rows).

So the question is, who is wrong? Jessica J. Miller or Dr. Grumman? Or is there some kind of variation in chinensis larvae?!

crazy.gif
I really don't know...

Timo

P

paul

Hi Timo,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Timo Hartmann on Tuesday 13 March 2007 - 08:54 (#POST124352):</font>

So the question is, who is wrong? Jessica J. Miller or Dr. Grumman? Or is there some kind of variation in chinensis larvae?! <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
and the next question - What is chinensis?
One species, a lot of subspecies or different species?
sick.gif

Paul

TJ

Reaction score
I've since received from Dr. Grumman the original photo, which when enhanced looks like this:

80135.jpg

80136.jpg

P

paul

Hi Tim,

with this photo, there is no doubt that it has two sets of lines consisting of yellow dots on each side
happy.gif

And it seems, that it also has yellow parts around its tail.

Paul

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1