Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hongkongensis female..or not?

G

gord

I was originally pretty sure I had a pair of hongkongensis...then I decided I had two males. Today...I am pretty sure I have a pair again.

I've taken some pics of the two.The one with the coloured up tail looks like an obvious male.The other?

These are interesting newts.Sometimes curious..other times very flighty.
They seem to get along..although I've seen some leg bites during feeding time.They LOVE bloodworms over all else.

GE

75713.jpg

75714.jpg

<font size="-2"><font color="ff0000">I edited this post to separate the run-together pictures -- pls add a line between the picture code text next time, thanks -- Tim</font></font>

(Message edited by TJ on January 04, 2007)

D

danny

Gord - I think you got a pair there. The 'male' shows the white line that my two males have. Though the line fades away when breeding season has passed. I also have a female that looks like a carbon copy of your 'female'. My female is increasingly getting larger and I actually found some eggs today in their tank. Have you tried a period of serious cooling to get your newts to breed? I have them in my basement and the temps at 16C right now. For a month Ive put in frozen reusable icepacks to drop it down to about 10-12C and once I pulled the icepacks out, the males get big stripes, and the tail fanning begins!
happy.gif

G

gord

Danny:

Thanks for the response.

Funny, hadn't thought about the cooling trick in winter..but I do that in summer! Keeps some of my tanks cool when it gets too hot. I think I'll give it a shot just for fun.

My newts are all in the basement..and it is about 16 C. or so.

How large a tank do you keep your P.H in? How many do you have?

GE

D

danny

I have a 2.2 group in a 20 gallon tank, with no less that 5 different hiding spots. I havent had any aggression within the group other than butting in line for food. I keep the water level around 12-15inches in summer and let it drop to about 8 inches or so during the winter. Id send you some eggs, but it looks like another year of bad infertile eggs, the first batch that got laid are already moldy
sad.gif

G

gord

Danny:

I have my two in a 20 gallon as well..with lots of hiding spots. But because of their size, I feel like they may be a bit crowded sometimes. Yet they really don't seem to move around much..except when they are hunting. Lazy newts!

GE

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!