Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton hongkongensis

N

nelson

Some photos...

100_9281.jpg

100_9280.jpg

100_9277.jpg

100_9275.jpg

100_9274.jpg

100_9267.jpg

100_9265.jpg

100_9252.jpg

100_9241.jpg

100_9243.jpg

100_9245.jpg

100_9246.jpg

100_9235.jpg

100_9240.jpg

Hope you like them ;)

I

ian

Great photo,s Nelson but if those are tropical cichlids i see in the background then the temps will be to high for the newt.

N

nelson

Hi Ian...

I´ve no heating in the aquarium...
You´re when you say that it's an cichlid...an african cichlid...
It's just temporary...'til i found a new home to him...

Thanks for the comments,

Regards,

Nelson

J

jennifer

One other comment on the tank... It contains shells, and the large rock looks like some kind of coral or limestone. These things will increase the pH of the water. Be sure to test the water and make sure it does not become too alkaline for the newt. Also, if you move the newt into fresh water, do it very gradually, as the pH of the tank water may be very different from your source water, and a sudden change is not good. I hope you find her a nice non-cichlid home.

N

nelson

Hi Jennifer...

I think i didn´t made my point
happy.gif

The tank is a cold water tank...no heating...
And will still be like this...
The cichlid is the intruder here...is the fish who's not in proper conditions...
The newt have all the conditions they need...not the fish...and as soon as possible the fish will come out off the tank...not the newts...this tank is their definitive home...

So...what do you think about the tank setup to the newts?
Is the tank OK to them?
It's a 65G tank...
The measures are 47x16x21(in inches)...
I've two newts (not completely sure about the species...i think i've two different species
blush.gif
)...

My final objective is to have 4 newts of the same species (if i can find them in Portugal...not easy
sad.gif
) or to pairs (one of each species that i've own now...if they're really to different species)...

By the way...
Let me get some opinions about my newts species's...

NEWT 1:
100_9252.jpg

tritanario3022.jpg

tritanario2012.jpg

paludario2013.jpg

NEWT 2:
100_9214.jpg

100_8423.jpg

tritanario3021.jpg

100_8582.jpg

BOTH:
tritanario3011.jpg

In my opinion the NEWT 1 is a Paramesotriton deloustali or a Paramesotriton fuzhongensis...

The NEWT 2 i think is a Paramesotriton fuzhongensis or a Paramesotriton hongkongensis ...

Hope you can help me because i'm getting crazy trying to have some sure about my "boys" species...
After i'm sure about species i'll try to discover my newts sex...

Thanks to all...

M

mark

Well, I'm no expert but I like a good quiz.

I would guess that newt 1 is Paramesotriton hongkongensis because of the cranial ridges and smoothish skin. The belly pattern is not that of P.deloustali.

Newt 2 I would guess at Paramesotriton fuzhongensis because of the smaller cranial ridges, orange dorsal stripe and warty skin.

J

juraj

Hi Nelson,
it`s just matter of taste but I`d remove those marine things from the tank. I`ts a freshwater setup. Both animals look like honkongensis females. Very nice shots.
cheers
j.

P

paul

Hi Nelson!
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Nelson Oliveira on Wednesday 30 August 2006 - 10:04 (#POST104804):</font>

In my opinion the NEWT 1 is a Paramesotriton deloustali or a Paramesotriton fuzhongensis...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
It isn't a deloustali
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Nelson Oliveira on Wednesday 30 August 2006 - 10:04 (#POST104804):</font>

The NEWT 2 i think is a Paramesotriton fuzhongensis or a Paramesotriton hongkongensis ...<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
I don't think, that it is a hongkongensis!

Paul

N

nelson

Hi Paul...

So...
In your opinion...

NEWT1 = Paramesotriton fuzhongensis
NEWT2 = Paramesotriton hongkongensis

Can you explain me please in what you base your opinion?
Thanks a lot...

Is that right?

(Message edited by nelson_oliveira on August 30, 2006)

N

nelson

Some more pics that i hope can help us to identify my "pets"...

NEWTS
100_9345.jpg

100_9338.jpg

100_9331.jpg

100_9329.jpg

100_9328.jpg

100_9327.jpg

100_9344.jpg

100_9343.jpg

CLOACAS
100_9334.jpg

100_9335.jpg

100_9337.jpg

AQUA (i just added some floating roots)
100_9355.jpg

100_9360.jpg

100_9361.jpg

Waiting for more opinions...

Thanks in advance...

C

chris

I would say both are hongkongensis. Fuzhongensis' skin is very warty - each gland is quite pointed - not just granulated. These animals skins are very smoothg for Paramesotriton, which along with the cranial ridges and to an extent the ventral characteristics suggest hongkongensis. They can be quite variable in colouration, so the animal with black markoings on the dorsum (newt 2) is probably just an abnormal variation.
The setup looks good, I would not worry about the limestoney stuff unless the animals appear stressed (restlessness, cessation of feeding, swimming frantically around the surface) - sorry to contradict you Jen. Of course you could err on the side of caution and replace the rocks if you haver a source of less alkaline ones. Pices of flat slate or other such rocks piled to produced shelves, overhangs, and crevices are enjoyed by Paramesotriton.

Chris

V

virginie

Wahooo, it's the first time I see this topic
Although I can't help you for the identification I have to say that you made really really nice pics.

E

emelie

the picture with the mouth open was soo cute! It looks like the newt is stretching out its tongue at the camera!

wouter

Reaction score
For the confusion; could't the second animal be a P. chinensis? I don't really see a cranial ridge in that on, and the shape of the body, the spots on the flank and the coloured dorsal line remind me of P. chinensis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!