Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton identification

B

ben

Well i'm a little unsure as to what i now have, I started off fairly sure i have a pair of caudopunctatus
71534.jpg

along with a group of 4.3.0 Paramesotriton fuzhongensis of which 3.3.0 look like this
71535.jpg

and one like this
71536.jpg

and then a pair of chinensis that look like this
71537.jpg
but the more i look for confirmation of the species the more i get confused can anyone help me?
ben

wouter

Reaction score
To me all these determinations look right, except for the 5th and 6th photo. It could be a fuzhongensis, but it looks different, really smooth.

I was thinking about hongkongensis, but I don't see a cranial ridge... maybe others can help?

J

jennifer

Photos 5&6 also look like hongkongensis to me. Photos 1&2 are caudopunctatus. The others, I couldn't say for sure. It is not uncommon for groups of warty newts in the pet trade to be composed of a mixture of species. Some animals in the fuzhong/guanxiensis group are difficult to identify, and may include unidentified species.

B

ben

Thanks for the input, still having problems with 5&6 it's considerably larger than 3&4 and has none of the dark markings of them either. i'm glad you think 1&2 are caudopunctatus as i've been wondering for a while.
Thanks again for the help
Ben

K

kara

the first two resemble my pachytriton labiatus...i had a hell of a time figuring out what he was on my own....the pet shop guy said a japaneese firebelly, was he wrong!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!