Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New type of Paramesotriton from China

S

stephan

This animal has come from China recently, not sure what it is, looks different to what I know.
Have a look and let me know your opinion.

63032.jpg

63033.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on May 02, 2006)

C

chris

Henk Wallays has a picture of a (slightly fatter) animal like this which he says is an abnormally coloured fuzhongensis. Other than the colour, it looks like the group fuzhongensis/guangxiensis-like species which often appear in the pet trade.
Nice animal, whatever it is!
Chris

W

william

I believe Andy Baker owned a similar newt which he couldn't identify for certain, but which looks very similar to yours and as Chris says, most people said fuzhongensis...

(Message edited by will_j on May 01, 2006)

A

andy

That first picture is very interesting...though not quite like mine shown here, http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/32246.html?1110993314
I've never seen one quite like yours Stephan....though i have seen what was obviously a Fuzhongensis with that lovely colour shown in the second picture. I suspect there's a whole species complex waiting to be described with a lot of the Paramesotritons.

TJ

Reaction score
I've also seen some like that. Very impressive.

63073.jpg

S

sergé

In shape these animals much more look like P. caudopunctatus (the long heads in particular).

A

andy

I thought the same thing Serge...the head in that first pic does remind me of Caudopuntatus

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!