Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caudopunctatus jaw update

B

benjamin

Maybe some of you remember how a year ago I had a caudo with an injured jaw and had some difficulty getting baytril for it. Just to remind you, or inform you, of what happened here's a summary: First I had to endure the thick, minging secretary a the vet's who logged my caudo into their database as a common lizard named newt. This led to me talking to two vets, both of whom constantly, but "accidentally", kept on to referring to him as a lizard and flipping through some veteranary seventies text book with a page long chapter (and half of that page was a picture) on Amphibians, which primarily focused on cane toads and recommended fish antibiotics which I have heard preached against on this forum, such as malachite green. They eventually giving me the liquid form of baytril rather then the cream form because "it wasn't avaliable" or, perhaps they didn't want to deal with it. I guess they were satisfied with the £30 they milked out of me with the two vet appointments.

Well now it's almost a year since, and his lower jaw has fully healed, and it's only minimally deformed, in fact the only real remnant of his injury is the little fold in his skin running from the nostril to his mouth. Here he is. I would like to thank everybody on the site who helped me with this incident. Here's a picture of him.

44446.jpg

Hopefully one day I'll get him a mate.

J

jennifer

Bravo!!! Did you post photos of the injured jaw previously? If so, could you post a link to the photos? Those who didn't see them can share in the amazement.

Can you give details of what dilution of Baytril you used, and how it was applied?

B

benjamin

Here's a photo of his jaw a year ago (I posted them before but the last time I've tried to link pages within the forum it didn't work):

44621.jpg

I had to force feed him the baytril with a syringe. I need to find and read the bottle to get the concentration, so I should have it in a little while.

TJ

Reaction score
Very cool, Ben, and congrats on the recovery!

I've never force-fed antibiotics. That's not to say there's anything wrong with it, I just don't know. I use antibiotic soaks for injuries and infections, accompanied by therapeutic soaks in amphibian Ringer's solution. I've had a fair degree of success so far.

But for recurring fungus problems with my axoltls (third time already!), I have used a tropical fish treatment accompanied by salt baths, and it has so far worked well.

I've yet to tackle the problem of parasite loads, however, though I have the medicine for it. Frank left me scared on that score
uhoh.gif

Anyway, good luck with your warty!

(Message edited by TJ on February 02, 2006)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!