Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton ID?

G

gord

Folks:

Picked up two parmesotriton last week at a pet store. I'd never seen them for sale here in Northwestern Ontario.They'd sold 20! I grabbed the last 2. I'm guessing Fuzhong, but anyone else want to take a guess? The newts are dark brown, warty and have an orange ridge down their back. I've set up a new tank for them and will post a pic of it in the Viv section.

Gord
50839.jpg

50840.jpg

<font size="-2"><font color="ff0000">(I added spaces between the pics -- TJ)</font></font>

(Message edited by TJ on January 02, 2006)

B

benjamin

They look pretty much like Fuzhongs to me. I have one question though, the newt in the bottom pick looks possibly bloated, is this just because of the angel of the picture?

G

gord

benjamin:

Hi.No bloat..just a weird angle through the glass. In fact, that is the same animal in both shots and it's actually on the skinny side. Shows you what the camera lens can do!

Gord

H

henk

I rather supspect them to be chinensis... the belly and body color is quite pale.

G

gord

Henk:

That's an interesting thought, and not one I'd considered. I think the flash may have lightened the skin and belly a bit however.I noticed in one of the shots (not shown) that the belly colours looked yellow, which they are definitely not.

Maybe I'll try to get some more shots without flash that are also a little less affected by the weird angle.

But perhaps you are right as well!

One thing I have noted, both these newts really does not seem to like current. In fact, they both freak out and try to climb the wall when I put on the filter. Turn it off, and they are lovin' life. Very odd considering this is supposed to be (broadly) a stream species.

Both newts are eating very well by the way.

Gord

H

henk

Well Paramesotriton do like to be in the side pockets of the streams rater then in the stream itself.

Yes, maybe the flash gun can pale down the colors. I'll await further shots. if it is chinensis keep them close to sight, since chinensis is far more aggressive then fuzhongensis (at least that's what I and other keepers overhere in Belgium have noticed).

H

henk

I shoudl also add that juvenile hongkongensis area also somewhat paler in coloration then the adults but there the granulates shoudl tell.

G

gord

Hey all:

Here are a couple more shots of my mystery parmesotriton. One a belly shot taken in natural light, the other a flash shot in their new tank.The larger newt is featured and is a still looking one shade light in the flash shot.But it gives you a pretty good look at them. These are very active and stubborn newts to handle!

51074.jpg

51075.jpg

<font size="-2"><font color="ff0000">(I added spaces between the pics -- TJ)</font></font>

(Message edited by TJ on January 02, 2006)

G

gord

Here's another shot of both newts in the old tank taken from the top. Flash again. Sorry the other pics posted weird..don't know why that happens.

Gord
51078.jpg

C

chris

They are hongkongensis - smooth(ish) skin, prominent cranial ridges.

Chris

G

gord

Gents: Thanks for the consideration of the pics. Having looked at the description of hongkongensis on livingunderworld, it does seem to match these two newts. The nets I have HATE current, and are very robust critters. Quite lovely as well. No sign of aggression so far.

How common are hongkongensis in the pet trade?

Anyone out there have any tips on keeping them?

Gord

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1