Finally! (P. honkongensis eggs)

D

danny

After what seems like forever my P. hongkongensis are finally laying eggs. I'ved tried almost everything from real plants, fake plants, yarn, wool, plastic egg strips, tape egg strips. All I needed to do was straighten out the long leaves of the onion plant that was in there and presto! Lots of eggs are sandwiched between the leaves. But after a week the eggs slowly get opaque and look bad but they don't get fuzzy. I did a water test and everything is good except my nitrate is a little high. Ammonia is very low, nitrite is also very low. Could this nitrate be spoiling my eggs or are they just infertile?

hongkongegg.jpg

Nitrate is rather harmless, so I doubt that is a problem. More likely the eggs are infertile. Watch carefully, though, a few may be good. Have you seen any sign of courtship? Are the males in breeding color?

Congratulations (again)!

In the beginning of fall the males had a bit of white on their tails and I was wondering if it was a bit early for them to be in breeding dress. But when I look at the males now, the shimmer is almost gone, so maybe my males are still a bit to young. Maybe next year is all I can hope for!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back