P. caudopunctatus larvae #2 -soon to graduate!

P

paris

here are a series of recent photos of the smaller of my 2 surviving caudo larvae (from thread http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/13/39819.html?1122492059 ) the first one is still alive but is smaller and isnt eating as well. i have been keeping the larger morph in room temp, about 72-75 F, in a 1/2 gallon betta set up - water changed every 2 days, no filtration. he looks as if he will morph soon-check out the tail fin shrinking...
46243.jpg

46244.jpg

here is a belly shot
46245.jpg

here is a size shot
46246.jpg

46247.jpg

46248.jpg

#%@%%!! found him dead today-he drowned
sad.gif

his smaller yet older sibling is still alive, just thinner and a poorer eater, but he is fine in the same shallow water set up that his morphed brother drowned in

Bad luck...
sad.gif
they are really prone to drowning... I alsoi had a couple of fuzhongensis that climbed out the water, behind a piece of plastic in the tank frame and dessicated - they were too hydrophobic to save themselves...
Yes, shallow water, lots of floating plants and rocks are good. They don't really do well with floating islands, prefering to climb 'stairs' to the surface from the bottom.
Good luck!
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back