Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Deloustali juveniles

J

juraj

A year old and 6cm long specimens. They live on chopped earth worms.
38126.jpg

38127.jpg

S

sergé

But...they will not get nice orange bellies this way. You can see that as larvaes they didn't have any Daphnia's else they would have been more orange.
But that's just a slight remark, they look very healthy, and that's much more important!

Sergé

P

paris

serge,
what is a good land food that can help with orange bellies?

J

juraj

Maybe they will some time
biggrin.gif
Except earth worms I put small amounts of tiny crickets and woodlice (porcellio). But... do insects and terrestrial crustaceans contain more carotene than earth worms ?

R

ralf

One can dust the feeders with tiny amounts of carotenoids to enhance coloration.

P

paris

i guess one could gut load the feeders too (a lot easier than teaching a newt to eat carrots!), but i was wondering -if in nature they are on land at this size, what natural food do they consume to add to the colour-or is it assumed that the colour is from food they consumed during a crucial period as larvae?

W

william

lovely animals, i think yellow is a refreshing change from the usual orange/red firebelly. I'd keep some like that unless it is essential for them to have carotenes.

J

jennifer

Juraj, very nice!!! You must be one of the first people to breed this species in captivity.

Paris, I've been dusting fruit flies lately with Nekton-Rep-Color. It's a reptile vitamin/mineral supplement with carotenoids. It could also be used on crickets, woodlice, etc. In the US, they sell it at blackjungle.com and nyworms.com.

T

tomas

The first was Czechoslovak scientist Ivan Rehák, in 1979 or so. He has been keeping and breeding them successfully till today, I think.
Rehák, I. (1981): First reproduction of vietnamese newt (Paramesotriton deloustali) in captivity. Živa 29 (6): 231.
Only in Czech language...

T

tomas

And second article from the same author:
Rehák, I. (2002): Vietnamese newt - dying jewel from Tam Dao. Živa 50 (5): 223.
Again only in Czech...

F

frank

Hi,

I am always a bit suspicious about adding artificial xanthin derivatives (for enhancing reddish colours) to the food. At least in birds, this can lead to severe liver problems. In my newt offspring, I either use Daphnia during rearing or I just try to manage to have yellow bellied animals...

T

tomas

Juraj,
who did breed them?

(Message edited by tommy on June 22, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1