Warty Newts( Paramesotriton)

C

corey

I love this site, because it's a one stop for any one who considers themselves a herp lover. However, I have three warty newts and although you have pictures of the different sub-species of Paramesotrition there's no care sheet like the other newts. Is there a reason and are there plans for a care sheet?

care sheets have to go through their own peer review and must be referenced, my own took about 2 months i think (i wasnt devoting full time to it though), plus paras are not different sub species but totally different species-and will have different behavior, although i think we could come up with a generic para care sheet with specifics sections since they do require similar conditions. hard part is finding someone who knows enough about them and also is willing to go out on a limb and make a care sheet..and has the time and resources....

there is a good caresheet on www.livingunderworld.org
If you go into the 'caudata' section, then look in the species database, you'll find the paramesotriton. It has lots of information on it.
Which specie(s) of Paramesotriton do you have?
Chris

(Message edited by froggy on May 26, 2005)

There are plans for a Paramesotriton caresheet on Caudata Culture. In fact, we have two excellent volunteers, who have both kept and bred them for years (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!). A lot of work goes into our caresheets, and the process isn't fast. This one will be particularly difficult, because published information is scarce. Come back in half a year
dizzy.gif

The basic parameters for all Paramesotriton species are clean water, hiding places (flat rocks providing caves are good) and a good amount of space, though each species does differ from the others. They should eat voraciously when they are srttled and happy. Watch out for violence (snapping at each other at feeding time is normal) and particularly persistent bullying. Though they are supposedly stream-dwelling animals, they don't enjoy fast moving water so provide areas sheltered from the filter. I find that they also enjoy a spot just below the water's surface to rest on and wait for food (mine use a large java fern).
They are quite temp tolerant, but keep it below 23C. They are generally very hardy animals.
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back