Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fuzhong?

D

dawn

I'll start by saying Hello to everyone as I am new to this forum :)

I bought a newt almost a week ago and he was labeled in the shop as a 'Giant Fire Newt' but after looking at pics I'm thinking he is some kind of warty newt, probably a fuzhong. I'll post some pics ASAP but right now I would just like to confirm what the shop owner told me about keeping it. I have a small aquarium (approx 25L) with two goldfish but nowhere for the newt to come out of the water. Does that sound OK? Should I get something to float on the surface for him? There's not a lot of room for that. He has plenty hiding places and makes good use of them!

Like I said, I'll post some pics soon and hopefully someone can confirm the species for me. I'd be grateful for any advice I can get for now though.

Thanks!

W

william

first of all welcome!
hat.gif

second, don't keep it with goldfish, they can be quite aggressive towards the newts, and they produce far to much ammonia.
third it will need somewhere to climb out onto.

B

benjamin

depending on the size of the goldfish there may be some feasting involved. The newt will eat small goldfish and large goldfish could injure or kill the newt. If that doesn't happen, goldfish release a lot of ammonia into the water and can stand higher amounts of it then newts. So not really the best conditions for your newt. Other wise sounds like a good set up, I think that you should have a small land space for the newt though. Fuzhongs don't visit land much but mine like to spend about 5% of their time on it.

C

chris

A piece of floating cork-bark will suffice. I would also suggest removing the goldfish
chris

D

dawn

I appreciate the advice guys but it looks like I might have asked for it a little late
sad.gif

My Newt is gone!! And I dont mean I found him floating, I mean his is missing! I don't think the goldfish could have eaten him so fast I didnt even see a dead body so I can only assume he has escaped (although I dont know how!)

How long can the wee guy survive out of the water?

Dawn

J

jeff

It really depends on the conditions of the room he's in. Anywhere between a few hours up to a few days. Look for him in dark places. Also, I read somewhere on this forum that it's a good idea to lay down a wet towel, as they'll search for moist places. Good Luck finding him.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on April 14, 2005)

D

dawn

Found him! I really hope someone is reading this soon because I need advice and fast. He's barely alive! Ive put him in some shallow water is there anything else I can do for him?

Please, anyone, HELP!!

TJ

Reaction score
All I can suggest is to remove with water the dust he's collected and to not put him in water that's so deep that he could drown in his current condition.

If it were mine, I'd rehydrate him in a small but secure container with Ringer's solution (plain old water should be OK in your case) about a centimeter deep. I'd place the newt on top of some java moss with its head mostly out of the water.

I also advise against keeping a newt with goldfish or in a tank without a very secure lid.

Good luck with him
wink.gif

<font color="ff0000">This thread will be moved within a few days to the Newt and Salamander Help area of the site so look for it there when you don't find it here anymore.</font>

(Message edited by TJ on April 15, 2005)

D

dawn

Thanks everyone, all very helpful. I got another tank so that I could keep the goldfish and the newt apart (although there didnt seem to be any problems with fighting or trying to eat each other). Unfortunately he died before I could move him
sad.gif

Thanks again for all your help, I may return in the future with pics of a new newt or I may just stick to keeping fish - they're much easier to stop escaping
happy.gif

dawn

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!