My new newt

S

suzanne

this is my new newt "draco"

I beleave it is a Fuzhong, but not to shore, I don't think the pic is good anothe for a good id, but hoping it maybe ok for someone to say my Id'ing is correct.

Thanks

34197.jpg

It's hard to see at such a distance, but with my limited knowledge of this genus, I'd say P. honkongensis, P. caudopunctatus and P. laoensis can be immediately ruled out, and P. deloustal seem unlikely, P. chinensis less so. Given the orange coloration on the dorsum, I'd guess that it's not P. guanxiensis either.

That would leave P. fuzhongensis!
biggrin.gif

Well...almost. There appear to be warties that are probably subspecies or distinct species but have yet to be identified as such.

(Message edited by TJ on April 12, 2005)

Hmmm...is the skin smooth? If it is then you probably have hongkongensis. Some have been trickling into the pet trade
Chris

Thanks guys.

he does'nt seem smoth, he has lots of little speckles on him that look like bumps.

I want to be shore as I considering, getting another one, I have found some juveniles Fuzhongs. I heard different speshis can get agressive towards each other, my boyfriend did say I should ask, if Fuzhong life well on there own, would are resident newt, take exseption to a newt young newt. Also the tank is a 2ft by 1ft, 1ft high. Works out to about 15 uk g.

It mostly aquatic, with abit of dift wood abouth the water for him to rest ect.

What you think, should I just be happy keeping my one newt happy, or get another to keep him company.

Newts aren't social creatures, and also it is difficult to get the same species (in different batches particularly) from the pet trade. I wouldn't buy any others unless you are fully prepared for aggression between the animals.
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back