Something's missing..........

P

paris

i rinsed these earlier in the night and looked in on them a few hours later.....
28753.jpg

Congrats Paris! How many larvae did you have to care for now?
wacko.gif

geeze-i dunno....i dont have enough fingers and toes to count that high....
sick.gif

here are a few spare photos-the larvae are like most paramesotriton larvae - they are black with white around the fringe of the tail and pink gills and white around the eyes. there are 4 legs -well sort of legs, there are two forward stumps but they are very rudimentary-no definition past the elbow-they just seem to stop. there are 2 very small elongate bumps at the rear end -these look to be rear legs. i wish to get a better camera someday.....i can see more stuff with my eye that i can show in a photograph-these are about as long as my thumbnail across - 1/2 inch.
28770.jpg

28771.jpg

even though these 6 eggs were laid within a week of each other - 5 of the 6 hatched at the same time-the string of 3 seemed to have been laid at the same time. after most hatched there was one left behind. i picked it up to check it out, it was still very firm
28772.jpg

they arent like cynops or triturus eggs in the the skin lessens and the larvae eventually works it way out when it feel like it. when i was holding it it just popped and the larvae was sitting on my hand -it was a very fast process. if you look at these photos you can still see the artifacts of the cramped conditions in the eggs-they have an hourglass figure from the fold area. this is the hatchling that just popped out
28773.jpg

28774.jpg

Congrats! That is awesome, I just saw my first Paramesotriton hongkongensis eggs today. It makes you feel proud.

Paris - make sure ytou don't introduce any cyclops as food. I used these a lot for Triturus larvae and assumed they would be fine for Paramesotriton. The cyclops ate most of my larvae alive over night.
Congrats and good luck!
Chris

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back