Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Paramesotriton sp. husbandry

F

filipe

Hi everyone,

I have the chance of getting some Paramesotriton (I think it's P. fuzhongensis) but before I do so I'd like to pose some questions about keeping this group of newts.

I've been keeping for the last years a number of species (c.o., T. dobrogicus, P.waltl) but it's my first time with these guys. I'm aware that they are highly aquatic aggressive species but I'd like to know from your personal experience about vivaria design, reproduction and whatever tips you have.

Thanks in advance

Filipe

C

chris

I keep mine in fairly deep water (about 10 inches) with mild water flow. Species is important as some (caudopunctatus, fuzhongensis and possibly guanxiensis) prefer faster water currrent than for example hongkongensis. Don't, however, make the tank simulate a torrent, but a slowflowing river. Pile flat rocks to form a 'wall' with many caves in. Paramesotriton like to have cover over their heads. The aquarium should be fairly heavily planted, with plants like Java fern (microsorium pteropus), valisineria sp. (spelling???) and elodia/egeria. Don't put more than one male in an enclosure, and with fuzhongensis no more than 2 females.
I have found that males are far easier to bring into breeding condition than females, which probably require a cooling to around 15C. Don't take them lower as they breed in the cool season (Autumn time) and excessively low temps can reduce reproduction success.
I have found that Paramesotriton sometimes become very fussy about diet. For example, after readily taking earthworms for several months and refusing thawed bloodoworm, they may change their tastes to take bloodworm and refuse earthworms. I have found that small slugs are good for getting animals to start feeding after buying from the pet trade. I wiggle them in front of the animal with forceps.
Also, I have found they become very bold when placed in their first setup after coming into the pet trade, but if they are moved (even to a much larger, better constructed environment) they will become very shy and less bold eaters.
Good luck!

J

jesper

I second that about Paramesotriton fuzhongensis eating habits... Mine are eating quite irregularly, sometimes they are crazy about earthworms, sometimes they ignore them etc. Crazy newts. Also watch out when changing their setup, this often iniatiates violent phases where they seem to re-establish rank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1