Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

P. caudopunctatus eggs

P

paris

i have had my female laying eggs for about a week now-i first found 7, now about 1 a day. they are elongate and all laid on the filter box behind a large stone. i was worried to start since 3-4 were infertile and fuzzed up fast. i brought the rest to work to see them under a dissection microscope-i can see they are about the 64 cell stage-but these are about 7 days old and kept about 60-70 F, is this normally slow developing embryo? will the female ever go faster on the laying or is it just one at a time till she runs out? if i dont attend the tank every day-are they prone to eating their eggs like cynops? i can try to get some photos tonight.

J

jesper

wow Paris, I haven't even heard of caudos breeding in captivity before and certainly never of egglaying!
happy.gif

B

benjamin

I think all newts are prone to eat there eggs, I've read even the ones who protect their eggs (Chinese giant salamander for example) take a fair share of the eggs and the larvae. I saw once in my pond a female smooth newt eat one of her own eggs with in 2 minutes (roughly) of laying it. Now I don't know if caudos will eat their eggs but they probably do. I don't know if much research has been done into the egg development of this species. I'm sure there are some people on this forum who have bred them before. Please keep us updated on their progress and share your breeding secrets.

J

jesper

"I'm sure there are some people on this forum who have bred them before."
Oh, I haven't been around here for long but I haven't heard anything about anyone breeding caudopunctatus before Ben...
Actually I have been here for a year more than you I believe, and have had discussions about how rare breeding of caudopunctatus is....

"Now I don't know if caudos will eat their eggs but they probably do."
Oh? So can you plz give a reference to this?
Many newts eat their own eggs, sure, and it is quite possible that caudopunctatus do too. But you can't just give advise on what you assume...

It's nice that you have enthusiasm but I think you should stop giving advise that are way out of your league.

B

benjamin

I just read a thread where a user by the name of Craig Cameron claims he has bred his caudos and raised over 300 larvae I'm finding it difficult to post a link, you'll find it in the archives through may 2004, it's titled "P. caudopunctatus morphs" , and the latest post was from february 23, 2004.

J

jesper

Well Ben, Craig Cameron has claimed a lot of things....

J

jesper

Jessica received those as morphs I think.
I don't know anyone here who has bred caudopunctatus, except Paris now then. I am not disputing that they have ever been bred in captivity. Do you know of anyone Ralf?

C

chris

Congrats!!!!
With Pachytriton, which lay their eggs similarly to caudos, several people (there was an article in a Retile Mag) put them inside a bottle with the top cut off, and meshing preventing the newts from getting in. The bottle is left in the tank until hatching so that the eggs remain clean and have good circulation. You could leave them on the rock, or peel them off.
Hope this helps
Chris

P

paris

froggy-
problem is she is laying only about 1 a day-so i cant section them off. they can be peeled off the filter because they never seem to 'set'-they are very sticky even after many days. its less gooey sticky than velcro like sticky. ive gotten some poor quality photos through a microscope -i'll have to download them from my camera. ill try for some basic camera shots of them too. they do cloud up a bit and also have algae growing on them.

R

ralf

Jesper,
I know of a couple of people, who had at least larvae from this species here in Germany.

R

ralf

Forgot the most important thing, whilst arguing over potential former breedings.
blush.gif

Congratulations Paris! Please keep us informed.
biggrin.gif

P

paris

ok here are some photos-the first is of the parents.
25834.jpg

here are some pics of the eggs-the first is a single one to show the elongate shape with the little puckered ends
25835.jpg

25836.jpg

25837.jpg

J

jesper

Strange about the eggs not being round, Allomesotriton strikes again!
biggrin.gif

dot

Reaction score
Paris -

Congrats on the eggs! I know you've got other eggs as well, so hopefully they'll all be healthy!
happy.gif

C

chris

Hongkongensis eggs are elongate as well (see my avatar). The eggs of my other unidentified species are also elongate, althoough not to such a great extent.
Chris

P

paris

my 600th post mwahahaha!!! ...still less than 1 a day seeing as im on my 2nd aniversary of being here..its just not as fun to post when you have no camera....

oh yeah i was supposed to post something here....a later egg photo-as of last night. i guess i am mistaken and they are clam eggs
lol.gif

25924.jpg

bummer is she stopped laying-so ill move her tank back the way it was before

P

paris

here is a photo of the most developed eggs as of last night. i only have 5 good eggs-im guessing she will lay more later-i moved the tank back the way it was before but have seen no signs...but that doesnt mean she didnt lay any, i just see no eggs in there (note to self:check males daily weight....) so anyways-sorry kids, i cant do photos like john or tim, but i am still learning the ropes on my vid cam and have found the manual focus(i used spot focus before) here is my best shot
26396.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!