Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mysterious warty next (II)

H

henk

Here is a new shot from the animals from Benjamin Tajer. to my opinion a fuzhongensis (although I have seen such mottling more in chinesis then fuzhongensis).
22697.jpg

F

frank

I don't know, the fine granular skin structure and rather sharp dorsal and dorsolateral folds make me think rather at hongkongensis...

C

chris

The black patches are not supposed to occur in any other Paramesotriton...
Chris

F

frank

True but color abnormalities are quite frequent: I had a female hongkongensis with pale and black spots dorsally for years.

A

anthony

i have a fuzhongensis looks just like that one
same colour.

C

chris

The cranial ridges are very prominent.... maybe it is hongkongensis...
Chris

J

jesper

The more I look now the less it looks like a fuz... The skin is really smooth and the cranial ridge suddenly seems huge. I'd like more pics Benjamin, dorsal and ventral shots plz
biggrin.gif

B

benjamin

I don't have any photo editing software so I had to send the pictures to somebody else who has not responded.

B

benjamin

The newt in that picture has gained some weight after I got it (I've been feeding it earthworms). Now its cranial ridges and dorsolateral folds are not as prominent.

B

benjamin

In the thread which Paramesotriton there are pictures of a newt bought at the same store as mine.

A

ajfr0ggy

Looks like a fuzhong, quite similar to some of mine...
but those toes do look long...

AJfr0ggy

B

benjamin

The larger newt (not the one pictured) has shorter toes, I wonder if it is some form of sexual dimorphism.

J

jesper

More pics of Ben's newts:
23273.jpg

23274.jpg

23275.jpg

In my opinion it is not a fuzhongensis.

B

benjamin

Whether they are fuzzes or hongkongs could the fact that they get along so well be because one's a male and one's a female, if they were the same sex (at least both male) wouldn't they fight as warty newts are supposed to. I'm beginning to think that I'll never be able to truly tell what they are unless I manage to breed them (which I have made my objective) and raise the larvae to juveniles, which from pictures on caudata culture and on other sites seem to indicate are relatively easy to distinguish.

B

benjamin

I know nobody has suggested this yet but one picture of a P. guanxi looks alot like my smaller greenish newt with the black spots.

J

jesper

I doubt that anyone here can diffrentiate between guanxiensis and fuzhongensis without cutting them up.

Your green one is way to smooth, have way too long toes and way too prominent dorsal ridge to be a fuzhongensis/guanxiensis.
It doesn't look like the hongkongensis that I have seen either, however I have never kept hongkongensis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!