Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help!! I think my axie has fungus

stephen

Reaction score
My axie was fine and now today I just noticed it had this white stuff on its body. It is strange because it seems to just fall off when he swims. There are patches of this stuff over his body. He is still eating and acting normally. What should I do?

kapo

Reaction score
If it is fungus, salt baths, even with fungus they can still eat and act normally. Ours have had patches on the body as well as round the gills, feet and tail. Can you post a photo? What is your tank temperature? Is this the new one, or your first axie?

stephen

Reaction score
It is my first axie I will post a pic soon. I dont know how to get him out of the water because every time I have tried to get him out he has just gone crazy and swam everywhere. After I give him a salt bath can I put him straight back into the tank?

stephen

Reaction score
82851.jpg

kapo

Reaction score
As long as your temps ok. Don't stress him too much, when you need to get him out for saltbaths, use two containers, one to gently herd him in; or net and container, but don't chase him round. But if he spazzes out and swims madly just leave him to calm down .

stephen

Reaction score
Should I give him salt baths right now or would it be ok to wait till tomorrow and see how he is? After I give him salt baths should I put him into the fridge or would it be ok to put him straight bach into the tank?

stephen

Reaction score
He just swam and all the fungus came off his skin. I am not giving a salt bath now but if it comes back I will give him a salt bath. Is it a fungus or is his skin just peeling?

J

julia

could he be shedding his skin...I noticed mine seemed to when I first got him....no sign since

stephen

Reaction score
It was really weird yesterday morning he was fine then at night he got all that stuff on him and this morning he was fine again and there was none of that white stuff on him at all. Do axolotls shed their skin?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1