Injured limbs - different injuries

C

carrie

When I got little twinkle toes he had no legs NONE. Not uncommon for them to loose bits I Know (nadia had the same to a lesser exstent) They grew back no problems to my amazement. However 2 weeks ago I bought little freckles (as it had the least chomps out of it ) when i got it home I noticed one of her legs hangs it is not deformed or obviously broken and I have seen it move its toes a little recently. Do you guys know if its leg will get better like the others (as it is in tact.

I had one with a very limp and deformed leg (still intact) after it had been mauled by another axolotl. The leg slowly came back to normal over a month on its own in a cool cupboard, and is now 100% back to full fitness.

Its good to know it just amazes me how well they heal from it all perhaps too well - - if they didnt put up with it so well perhaps people would take better care of them the gentleman at the pet shop said you canot stop them from biting each other at that age ...you can keep them separate!!!! he does this with the siamese fighting fish at £3.99 each why not the little axies at 17.99 each GRRRRRRRRRRR ........... rant over talking about injuries and such little deaky keeps getting little 'tumors' dont worry they are not anything too bad but they turn into extra bits (normaly fingers or hands) anyone have any ideas how to stop this as it is getting out of hand (hehe) he has new numbs coming out of his elbows and two new fingers forming on the hands on the right HE HAS 12 FINGERS ON THAT SIDE ALREADy LOL may be I can donate them to the less fortunate axies out there!!!!

yay I have just seen freckles use her leg (didnt take long) she is using it cautiously but its better than nothing

Axolotl have a funny habit of suspending a damaged limb anyway in my experience, and when it feels better, they'll use it normally again.

If there's an actual wound, keep a close eye on it, and perhaps salt bathe it to minimise risk of infection/fungus.

thanks for that - there really doesnt seem to be any injury apart from the fact she/he doesnt use the leg much (i can not say at all now i have seen it used)I have a pic now and you can see she isnt holding it right

82795.jpg

It could be damage from much earlier that hasn't yet repaired properly, as mentioned - or it may simply be a minor deformity.

When she's confident it's ok, she'll start using it normally.

As with any animal that you suspect something's wrong with - observe carefully.

And keep us updated - it will be interesting to see how this pans out, if it gives us any clues as to the problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back