Fungus??

A

alyssa

im worried about my axie. at first it was just white patches on his two front legs but now the flesh has disppered from one of his legs and the bone can be seen!
i was doing salt baths every day (i had read on this forum it was good) and putting him in the fridge. but it wasn't helping. should i start that again?
also, i have two axies and the other isnt sick so i thought perhaps it wasnt the water but maybe the temp of the water which is about 25C at the present time.
im really worried i dont wont my poor lil guy to die!
thanks.

You need to try and get the temperature below 24C, ideally below 20C.

Apart from temperature have you tested your tankwater for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? It may be water quality as well as temperature.

How much salt did you use per litre and how long did you leave him in for?

Does he still have fungus?

i put in one teaspoon of salt for every litre of water. I am giving him salt baths twice a day and he is staying in the fridge.

Yes he still has fungus on both of his legs. On one of his legs there isnt any flesh at all and you can see the bone. But it looks like its starting to heal around the bone (its gone pink and closed). The fungus hasnt appeared anywhere else on his body or on the other axolotl.

Should I keep giving him salt baths?? Im also adding stress coat to the water that he is in (hes currently in a 'hospital tank' in the fridge by himself) as it said that it helps to repair damaged tissues.

Thanks =]

The quantities you should use are 2-3 teaspoons per litre of dechlorinated water for 10-15mins max. Make sure you use chilled stress coated treated water. Do you do fresh waterbaths each time?

Assume you are doing complete daily waterchanges on both hospital tank witht the dechlorinated water.

Just continue doing the saltbaths until at least 5-7 days after the last bit of fungus disappears. During the week while you're working do twice daily baths as you have been, if you have time on the weekend increase to 3 times daily otherwise just continue with twice daily.

thanks ill do the salt baths and let you know how it goes. and ill increase the amount of salt.

i am doing daily water changes on the hospital tank and it is chilled water. the container is wrapped in a tea towel and has a tea towel covering it to stop temp fluctuations and light.

just wondering though. will the salt effect the exposed bone in anyway?
ill let you know how it goes.
thanks heaps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back