Tail fin disappearing

J

jay

My wild-type is losing its tail fin. It just seems to be getting smaller. I saw a thread on this a while ago, but can't seem to find it. If anyone could direct me to threads about shrinking tail fins that would be great or even giving me advice on what causes it and what it is.

Thanks guy's

Is this Cookie - the one that floats?

Test your water parameters - ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. and what is your tank temperature?

Yes this is Cookie. I will test them soon. The temp is about 23.

I have seen previous reports of the same set of symptoms: floating, shrinking tail fin, shrinking gills, etc. Sometimes people think the axolotl is heading into metamorphosis, which is a remote possibility. But more often, the axolotl is just sick. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I think it's just general poor health. It looks like you are getting some help on your other thread:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/793/82030.html?1176639340

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back