Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

All my 3 axies have fungus,

S

sherri

All my 3 axies have fungus, and I can't figure out the cause. 2 of them have had it for many weeks now, on and off. Blackie and Orangina have it on their gills, and whenever I manage to cure it with salt baths, it comes back after a few days. They are still eating well. And then Axelina got it in 1 gill,which is now gone, and now she has it in 1 eye.

There is something strange floating about in their tank. I really, really can't figure what it is. It looks like tiny orange pieces of boiled fish, or similar. But I haven't given them any fish , or anything orange. Recently I have been feeding them only with blood worms and dry axie pellets. No matter how much I take this orange stuff off with a turkey baster, more comes all the time. Can anybody figure out what it is, cos I sure can't. I change water about 30% twice a week, and the ammonia has gone up very slightly, its about 0,15. Any thoughts?

F

fred

How is the temp? Fungus and bacteria may be accumulating in the tank if the temp has increased any. Also your filter could need to be changed or cleaned.

R

rebecca

are you continuing the salt baths for a few days after the fungus is gone? that could help it stay away i think.

kapo

Reaction score
Could they be some type of fly/bug larvae/eggs? Do you have open or closed tank?

Poor Axelina, more problems just when she started to come right!

S

sherri

Thanks all for your kind answers. I'm glad to report that Axelina and Orangina are now fungus-free, only Blackie has a bit left.
They have a good cooler. Usually I keep their tank at about 16-17C, but I lowered to 15C now that they have fungus. I clean the filter about once a month, and the last time I did was about 2 weeks ago. I still can't figure out what the tiny orange bits are in their tank. They seem to come from nowhere, and there's quite a lot of them. Especially when I 'hoover' their sand, lots of these things come up. They are definately not any kind of fly or animal.

Kapo, thanks for your concern for my darling Axelina.She panicked terribly after salt baths, but she is ok now. Happy and eating well and social. But she still can't swim after her long illness and nerve damage last year. I love thet little gild soooo much!!
All the very best for you and your axies
happy.gif

F

fred

Sometimes our axie would poop orange. especially after eating shrimp/crill. just a thought. i know you were feeding bloodworms and pellet but we would feed Oopa those too.

S

sherri

Thanks Fred n Lisa. I do actually have river shrimps in the tank with my axies, which end up as a meal once in a while, especially when it comes to Blackie, who likes to hunt occasionally. I do hope thats what it is, just shrimp poop. There's lots of those bits,tho, floating about, and I do clean poop daily with turkey baster. Oh well, I hope all will be fine, as both Axelina and Orangina have been fungus free for about a week now. And Blackie only has a tiny bit.Millions of thanks for your kind replies
happy.gif

K

kaysie

Yes Connor. Temperatures need to be kept below 20C ideally.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1