Ribs or Costal Grooves?

A

angharad

I just read a thread about being able to see an axies ribcage. I'm worried now cos when i look at my axie he has lines done his sides, all the way down and i dont know what is going on????? He's only about 6 months + and I feed him a few pieces of liver or kidney a day which he loves. Should I be worried or am I just being paranoid?

mine has that to. i think its just an axie thing. reminds me of ribbed socks. fraggle has always had them so i think you are just being paranoid
happy.gif
to much new information at once telling you this is how it should be can be as much a problem as a help. thats how i felt when i started keeping tropical fish. i was so worried i was doing everything wrong just because i did things a bit differently.

I won't say paranoid as that would be rude! No, we thought the same when ours started maturing. They're not ribs they're called costal grooves.

Costal grooves are inherent in all Ambystomatid salamanders, and most salamanders in general. Newts tend to not have costal ridges.

Why would they evolve to have them? What do they do exactly?

They increase the surface area which aids water uptake in terrestrial Ambystoma and provides increased respiration area for aquatic Ambystoma. Those gills might look pretty but much of an axolotls respiration is done through it's skin, 50-60%.

I'm going to re-name this post from "???" to something more relevant.
Cheers

Lol, thanks Mark. I was answering that before class and was kind of at a loss to explain it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back