Fungus Infection.

S

sara

I think my male has a fungal infection on this gills, it has literally sprung up over night. It looks like a close between jelly and cotton wool, white it colour but with little black spots in it and its pretty huge. However, he's still lively and eating and not showing any odd behaviour.
My tank is fully cycled and well within the limits for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia.
What do you think his chances are for him pulling through, I REALLY don't want to lose him.
What's the best course of action? (I'm figuring salt baths but how much salt to water and how often?)

I gave him a salt bath a little while ago and other than breaking my heart, it made him retch, I used two teaspoons of aquarium salt per litre in two litres of water in declorinated water. I felt bad for doing it because he thought he was about to be feed.
cry.gif

I've popped him back into his tank now and he's eating again.
Is that ok? Its the retching/gulping normal?

Should I bath him for ten minutes twice a day or once a day? Is he ok remaining in the tank or should he be put in the fridge?

He will be ok in the tank.Fungus is soooo annoying.My axies get it often, poor darlings. You have done the right thing by putting him in the salt bath. Next time don't give him a salt bath after eating, so he won't vomit. You used correct amount of salt, so thats ok.I usually start my axies with 1 salt bath a day, but if the fungus gets worse, I do 2 salt baths a day.
Good luck, and don't worry too much. You have caught the fungus in early stages, so most likely he will make a complete recovery. He will lose some hair (feathers) from his gills where the fungus is, but they will grow back.
Good luck

I would put him in the fridge to be safe, my little girl Peppa had fungus appear on her gills almost overnight in the same way. I gave her a salt Bath but hesitated about putting her in the fridge as to be honest was a little weary of it. I have regretted that decision as she has now completely lost the gills on one side and went through a lot of stress.

Then my little boy Carlos got the fungus so that was it straight into the fridge. His fungus didn't spread at all but halted in it's tracks. And with salt bath treatments as now completely gone.

I would recommend you salt bath him twice a day if possible for 10 mins at a time (no longer then 15 as it is harmful), until the fungus appears to have gone.

If you are going to fridge him (which I strongly suggest) and also salt bath him the best thing do to is to follow these simple steps.

Insure your fridge temp is above 4 degrees celsius as under this can be harmful to your axi. Test by placing a cup of water with a thermometer in it at the back of your fridge - leave it for 15 mins then come back to check. I would recommend a temp in between 5-7 degrees.

Place your axi into at least a 2-3ltr container of dechlorinated water just enough to cover him completely, place a lid on top and wrap the container with a teatowel to prevent fluctuations in temp and guard against the light. Then place him into the fridge, this will allow the water to come down in temperature slowly.

Place a spare container the same size in the fridge of dechlorinated water - this will be used for salt baths. Also place a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge for water changes.

In the morning remove your axi and spare water container from the fridge, mix 2 teaspoons of salt for every ltr of water into the other container of water. Using a net remove your axi from its container and bath for ten mins. Your axi probably wont like this and will wriggle around a bit, you can place a lid on top during the bath and eventually he should calm down and accept his situation. Then after the bath put your axi back in his container and back into the fridge. After he is safely away clean the bathing container using a mix of water and baking soda. Rinse and Refill container with water and dechlorinate. Place back into fridge for the evening salt bath.

For the evening bath follow the same process as morning bath, however when the little one is in the bath drain the water from his original container. Clean with water and baking soda. Rinse then pour water from the bottle kept in the fridge into the clean container. Follow the rest as per the morning, and refill the bottle with dechlorinated water and back into the fridge.

This process is better as it prevents temperature fluctuations form stressing the axi. When you need to return your axi to its tank make sure you leave the container out to slowly come to the tank temperature before putting him back in the tank as this will limit any stress.

Don't stress if your axi doesn't eat while he is in the fridge, as his metabolism will slow at lower temps. If he starts to look a little skinny, try pulling him out of the fridge for a day to raise his temp so he may be little more inclined to eat. You can also try feeding your axi just before his evening bath every night just to see if he will eat.

Treatment can take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks + depending. I also like to use Stress Coat water conditioner while they are going through treatment.

While you axi is in the fridge I would take the time to look over your tank to see what could be the cause. If your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH levels are fine then you could look at possible other causes such as, water temp, new plants, gravel in tank, feeder fish etc.

Sorry to overload you with info, I just know I had to flick between so many posts to answer my questions for my little ones. I hope this helps you.

Thank you so much both of you for the great advice and reassurance!
The fungus hasn't grew or spread over night and he's still keen in general but not ate today... But I'm not worried too much yet, he's seemed to have gone off earth worms a few days ago and seems to prefer meatier fare, I'll try him later on tonight.
Also, no retching today!

I think I know what's wrong with the tank, its a little on the small side with gravel, I do keep the tank extra clean because of it, he does has another tank lined up, but its cycling at the moment, I was hoping to get him into it before anything bad happened.
But I swear I can't thank you enough for the help!

Great to hear he is doing better. You're lucky it's not spreading which is a good sign. Which prob means your tank temp is at a good level. It's a bit harder in Aus due to higher temps, which is prob why my little ones fungus spread so quick. Keep up the bathing until the signs of fungus have gone and try daily attempts at feeding. If you are keeping him in the tank doing once a day salt baths, I would recommend bathing st least an hour before trying to feed as this will give him enough time to settle down and he may be more inclined to eat then. All the best and I hope he gets all better quickly for you.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the kind words Susan, he's looking great this morning, touch wood. I never feed him last night but this morning you would think I'd been starving him the way he's been eating, also the fungus is really showing signs of improvement, its hard to see any signs of it. I'm going to keep bathing him though till he seems free of it for a few days.

Susan just wanted to thank you for your terrifically detailed instructions for treating fungus. I have recently removed a divider in a tank so mother axie can mix with 2 offspring who I considered big enough to stand up for themselves. To my surprise it is the mum (Mary Kate) who has ended up with a bite out of the end of her tail. And fungus has started to grow. I'm considering the fridge and will certainly start salt baths.

Susan, this was very informative. Thank you---it's just the info I am looking for.

Deb

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back