Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is it possible that the fridge can be too cold?

J

jodi

Hi guys. It wasn't very long ago that i wrote about don juan having a terrible fungus on the left of his face, and that my poor golden Pablo hasn't eaten since January.

I got some great advice on here, and found a good aquarium guy here who advised to put a blanket over the tank as well as water change and salt.

I've now got the fungus on his face under control and slowly healing over... My water temp I am finally maintaining at about 20-22 through the day.

However, pablo is still stressed. Still has his/her gills curled right forward, and getting skinnier and weaker all the time. Today, she's laying with her mouth open and the colour around her eyes is unusual (in that it's a darker orange than the rest of the body). I really fear she is dying.

As a last resort, i've put her in the fridge in a container of her tank water but as I've never done this before, I'm paranoid that maybe it's going to be too cold and I'll kill her.... Yes, i know they tolerate cold water but I'm sure you can understand... I think I just need some reassurance.

I tried to force some beef heart into her tonight, but alas... ...she spat it out. I really don't want to lose her.

At least Don Juan is doing better and eating as normal. He isn't suffering as far as I can see, no gills forward and still as perky as an axolotl can be!

Any help is always greatly appreciated... Thanks, Jodi

kapo

Reaction score
Did you test your fridge with the thermometer in a glass of water for 20mins before placing her in to be sure? As long as it is above 4C, so 5C+; ours don't usually eat at that temperature, so don't force the issue if she won't eat while in there. When was the last time she ate?

J

jodi

Hi Kapo

She last ate about 2 months ago! i've tried every night to feed her but getting no response - she just swims away. I'm completely lost, because before we moved she ate without a hassle, always swimming up to grab the food. Like I said, Don Juan is fine so if it was my tank wouldn't he also be that sick? He only contracted a fungus in the last month and that's now under control. Whereas she has been off since the day we moved here...
By the way, I have no idea what sex they are - just guessing!!!

kapo

Reaction score
I know how you feel regarding lack of eating one of ours didn't eat for 7 weeks, she shared a tank with 3 others who didn't seem effected.

I suppose you've tried all sorts of various food to try like worms etc.. to try and entice her appetite.

It may not necessarily be in your tank; Yours could have been heat and stress related (especially with the temperatures you guys have experienced). It can effect axies differently even if sharing the same tank. One of ours constantly gets fungus off and on and other tankmates are not effected - so am constantly salt bathing and fridging during the year. This one has always been the weaker one/more prone to illness/stress/fungus and occasionally long periods of lack of appetite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1