Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does Ax have a fungus problem? Help!

R

raymond

Hi,
Got Ax my axolotl from a garden centre yesterday (first axie). It was the last one left, and feeling very lonely. Probably still there because it is missing half of it's gills, but I'd like to make an attempt at giving him a good chance.

However, yesterday, I did not notice anything else besides him missing one set of gills, this morning, it looked, well, weird, made me think of fungus.
Also, he is floating around the top a lot today. Dives down and walks around a bit at times, but yesterday he stayed down all day, except for one time when he climbed a plant.

I used to have tropical fish first, and the few times I had a fungal problem with them, it looked different, so I'd like your opinion.
80702.jpg

If it is a fungal problem, I understand that I should give him saltbaths (2 tbsp salt per liter treated water, max 15 minutes). I'm a bit edgy about putting him in a fridge though. Could I try first without doing that?

J

jay

not table spoons. 2-3 teaspoons. i am not actually sure if its fungus as i have never actually seen fungus. i just know how to fix it sorry

R

row

Looks exactly like the fungus I had on my two, specifically my baby that didn't make it....and for me it appeared just as quickly too!
I find fridging and salt baths at the same time really easy because you can make sure the water is all the same temp.
I only leave him in for ten mins at a time (he finds it very stressful in the salt) but it is very beneficial! And the fridge afterwards lets the cool and settle back down.
I have heard of people leaving them in the tank and just taking them out to give the salt bath etc. The fridge is a good place (although your temps are probably generally cooler than ours at the moment, you might not need to)
Keep us posted...
How are your water testing results? And temp?

K

kate

aw poor thing. he is stunningly beautiful, even with the fungus. good luck nursing him back to health.

R

raymond

Thanks for the replies!

Knowing now it probably is a fungus, I have asked for some help from a good local store here.

I have gotten some medication for in the tank to try and help stop the fungus infection and speed up wound-recovery, and it should also get rid of anything there might be in the water that should not be in there. I need to treat the water for 3 to 5 days, and should soon see improvement, if not, I'll get Ax started on a salt bath.

Infection might have come from some new elements introduced into the tank (plants).

Also got a new aquariumvacuumer to help clean up after Ax to keep his water nice and clean.

If there's no improvement, I will also take some water for proper testing. Temp is fine though.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What medication did yo get? Some fish medications are not good for axolotls. Hopefully they know how to treat axolotls at your local store. Many pet stores don't. I would recommend salt bath, or methylene blue, or something with furanace in it like Furan 2.

R

raymond

I tried checking the papers that came with the medication, can only get a name though eSHa 2000, and it states it's a broad spectrum medicine. It should eredicate fungus and also help improve skinslime quality, serve as an anti-bacterial agent, and help with wound-recovery.
Nothing mentioned about the active components.

It is a low impact medicine and it is quite gentle on the fishies. I explained to them that Ax is not really a fish and is very sensitive regarding his skin as he uses it to breath and such, but they said that should be no prob either.

You are right though, it is hard to be sure if someone is a real expert. If unsure, I know of a aquarium shop nearby of which the owner is a real expert, but they have been away for a few days.

K

kate

yeah, i couldn't find the ingredients on the net either. strange that they don't list them.
it does say:
"The very low toxicity makes it safe to use with sensitive fish, even when accidentilty overdosed." but as you noted axolotls aren't fish. there is a list here:http://www.axolotl.org/health.htm at the bottom of the page of medications that have been proven axie safe. maybe you could take that one back and try one of these if your not willing to risk it. i use Melafix myself, its pretty much the only med i can find where i live anyway. its antibacterial, antifungal and helps with wounds and skin problems.

R

raymond

sad.gif

Must have been a really bad infection. Ax died overnight. Wasn't sure at first if he was dead, as he still had clear eyes, but his (remaining)gills were all colorless and it was impossible to invoke any kind of response. The fungus really grew fast.
I gave it some time as I know some animals can go in a very low winter-sleep like mode when they are sick, but later the same night, it was very clear that Ax was no more. No movement at all, all muscles relaxed, mouth wide open, eyes glazed over and his slimecover peeling loose. Very sad thing to see.

I don't think it was the meds, as Ax did not behave any more abnormal after the first dose, but I doubt I'll put it in the tank ever again anyway.

I'll first get the water absolutely clean, and then I'll look around if I can find a new Ax, a healthy one to begin with this time.

J

jody

I'm sorry to hear about your axie
sad.gif

That's a real shame 'cos he was a real beauty, i loved his colouring.

Sorry again...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1