Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dying Axolotls

K

kc

Our Ginny just died
sad.gif
Don't know what was wrong!!?? Our other axie, Spotty, died in dec. Only had them since october 2006. Both had same symptoms:

*started floating
*stopped moving around
*stopped eating
*gills/frill shrinking
*tail curving

Both were put in the fridge. We took Ginny out of the fridge only yesterday. Exact same thing happened with Spotty...dead within 24hrs

Anyone experience this? Our tank water and the fridge water have been fine. Our tank is cycled too. Doesn't make us very confident in having another one.......could temp have done this???? So depressing..

80831.jpg

A

aaron

Theres been alot of cases of Australia's Axies dying, it could be the water quality.

S

sarah

Could it be the gravel? Take the gravel out and use sand as axies can and do swallow the stones and this can cause impaction if they cannot then pass them,leading to death.

kapo

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about Ginny Kc
sad.gif

Temperature was probably part of the contributing factor leading to their deaths. I read some of the threads recently wondering if water quality was an issue in Australia during summer months, namely with Water companies possibly putting in more chemicals or something else.

R

row

I'd say temp and water quality would have something to do with it! Everyone out here at the moment seems to be struggling....
I too am sorry to hear about Ginny
sad.gif
. It is very depressing and you have my sympathies... Maybe leave your tank empty for the moment and have a think and read some more? I love these little guys and there has to be a way we can keep them happily in Australia!

K

kc

Thanks for all your posts guys....

Our water levels have been excellent and we took water into a couple of different aquariums where the results came back perfect.......maybe there is something with the quality of NSW water??

Oh yeah, the gravel was changed to sand...don't think she ate gravel while we had her. She was hand fed. She loved coming up to get some food...even always tried to curl up onto our hand. Didn't want to handle her but she would always come up to us and touch us.....makes me sad that shes gone....its like she enjoyed the contact.

Anyway, thanks again.
Kc & Wayne

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1