Help please

M

mo

Hello people,

I have a problem with one of my axolotls. I used to have three, but the third (Mildred – wild type mature female) began to bite the other two. Slash (golden albino, immature, unknown sex) recovered pretty quickly, but George (leucistic mature male) had two legs and the tail partially severed. He has since become lethargic and more recently is floating for long periods, then sinking, then floating again, tail up sometimes. It seems he isn’t absorbing any oxygen through his gills, as they are withered away, and he takes big gulps of air. I’m worried that he’s very sick or dying. I’m asking for the advice of anyone who can help.

Thanks a lot

Mo

I would recommend separating the bully from the other two (maybe with a tank divider device). And you may also want to quarantine George in a tub with shallow water, which may be more comfortable. Other than good basic care, there isn't much you can do. If there are signs of infection, then salt baths may be warranted. Is he eating?

Hi!

Thanks for replying, I can separate him if that will help, I usually take Slash out to feed them both separately because I thought it might stress George out more. He does eat, although it takes him a while to find the food, and only when he's on his own. I forgot to say I already moved Mildred and then I sold her, because she was otherwise very healthy and a beautiful specimen, but I had nowhere else to put her long-term.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back