Itchie gills

L

lee

what is it when axis itch there gills mine has had itchie gill for the past few days aint notest him itching to day but still worried he swims and itches with his back legs the side he is itching iv notest his fluff is coming off is that because he is itching to much there water quility is good gona check it again tomoro also how long do you do salt baths for for fungal infection as my other axolotle keeps getting fungy on her gills shes in a seprate tank but she has had fungy 3 times in 2 months why does it keep coming back

Hi Lee is that Roxy again getting fungus? she may have a weaker immune system than the others which is why she's getting it again. I've just put mine back into tank after a couple of weeks separation due to fungus. My sisters young one now has it, I've nicknamed it Stumpy as fungus developed on feet and look like stumps!

Test your water just in case the water is effecting the other one, ammonia etc.. and if so do partial waterchanges daily till levels drop.

yeh its roxy again its on the other side of the gills now. pore thing does it hert when they have fungy. iv been giving her 2 salt baths a day starting yesterday do i do that for a week or longer.i also changed 50% of her water yesterday. the fungy has now come off tho but still gona give her baths. roxy is on her own and reo and frecks are in a difrent tank together so the wont catch it but at some point i want to put roxy in with the other 2 axis and put an devider in the tank so there seprate for a while. also roxy is eating fine but the other 2 aint eating at all they aint ate for nealy 5 days is that any thing to worrie about as they used to eat loads and they keep itching there gill with there back legs is that any thing to worrie about. thank you for helping me.

My axolotl, Pancho, seems to be scratching his gills today too, just on one side, with his back leg. He thrashes about a lot when he does it and I'm a bit worried. I fed him some live blood worm and daphnia yesterday - could it be a sign of parasites? My other axolotl, who's in a different tank, seems fine, even though she's been eating the same food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back