Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help,, sick young ones,,80% died in 8 hours

N

nuke

Hi,, i need some help,, before it's to late..

a few weeks back i got a female axi,(i already had 3 males)i put her in the tank with my males,,and half a day later she starts laying eags,, they al hatched and i had to go out and buy some tanks and everything was going really well,, up till today,, i come home from work and most of them are dead, i'm pretty sure it's funges,,(they are like snowflakes)a few of them are still alive ,, some of those are showing the white stuff on the tail,, (its hard to see,, since they are less then 1,50cm,, and just showing some frontlegs)

I cleaned the tank and toke the live ones out and put it in some tankwater from the males,,

Now,,, can i put those little ones in the fridge?? and give them saltbaths??

or will that kill them ?? please help,,so maybe i can save about 20 of them...

(water quality is good,,)

J

jennifer

The major reasons for die-offs of larvae are water quality and lack of live food. For a complete list of possible reasons, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/why_larvae_die.shtml

Immediately, take out the live ones into a clean container of clean water. Keep changing the survivors to a clean container daily. Keep them cool, but I wouldn't recommend refrigerating them.

N

nuke

thanks,,,i saved about 20 and slowly went down to 14 celcius,, now a day later 4 of them have survived
sad.gif
,, they don't show the "snowflake"on the tails so i put them back in the cleaned tank,,and lets hope they'll survive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1