Having trouble staying on the bottom

S

susan

Hi All,

I just wanting peoples opinions. My little Carlos (which I think is actually a girl)has been having problems sticking to the bottom of the tank.

He/She is constantly floating at the top of the tank, but is otherwise very healthy. Water Parameters are fine, and appetite is normal. I have tried to rub Carlos's belly due to a comment i read that it might be gas in another thread, however i am finding this a hard tasks as he/she doesn't like to be handled.

I wouldn't be so concerned however it really doesn't to seem to be Carlo's choice, and he/she seems to struggle to get back down.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated. THANKS

S/he may need a poo. If you put her in the fridge in a container of dechlorinated water, lowered so feet rest on bottom and doesn't float, for a couple of days you may see an improvement. If you're reluctant to put in the fridge, as long as you can keep in a container with water lowered so Carlos doesn't stress.

What has your tank temperature been at?

Around 23 degrees which i know is high but no where near as high as it was. And they seem to be doing ok at the temp as it has been like this for over a month, however i dont let it rise above that though.

Yeah I will probably put her in the fridge for a couple of days, I previously had both Carlos and Peppa in the fridge about a month ago for a good solid month. I put them in the fridge (some great advice from you i found on another thread, really saved my but and was really easy to follow) as they both had fungus (due to my inexperience) and then temps got to around 30 so I wasnt going to take them out until it cooled down. I just raised the temp in the fridge to about 10 after the fungus cleared.

Thanks I will put her in and hopefully it will sort out. oh yeah and I think I have resigned myself to the fact that she is a girl (even though the pet shop told me otherwise), but I am not changing her name as Carlos suits her.

Thanks again Kapo

You're welcome Susan.

Yes we have a tank of 5 females and recently discovered one of our girl axies was a male! Had to remove him from the tank and his spermataphore as well that he was dropping. Hopefully managed to get them all before the females pick them up!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back