Shredded Lips!!!!!!

T

teesha

at the pet shop there is an axoltol, One day it was fine, the nest it looked as iff someone attacked its lips with a shredder. the nest it healed a bit, then nest same stroey, it got worse.
today he lips looked shredded again, the flesh appeared to be hanging off her, im a sort of expert, its not fungus it looks like her skin. Either she rammed into the jagged log ornament several times or i don't know what!!!
my work mate think's its a fungus....i doubt it.. its not cottony....its thick white short shredds.
What could it be, do u think my assumption is right? what shoudl we do. Salt baths? what concentration again??

I would personally suggest a solution of 1 teaspoon of salt per 1 litre of water, bathed twice a day for 10 minutes. Also it may be in the Axolotl's best interests to put it into a hospital tank in the fridge to reduce stress and get him away from whatever is causing the problems.

People may suggest more salt per litre but because this is to aid healing and not to get rid of fungus etc. i wouldn't suggest a higher concentration.

This may sound nasty but i wouldn't suggest claiming you are an expert when you have spelt Axolotl wrong and then asked advice on 1 of the most common treatments for skin problems.

(Message edited by morph on February 09, 2007)

thanx dan. Sorry i wrote "sort of an expert" so ppl would trust my oppinion on saying that it wasn't fungus coz thats what my boss thought it was and i know its not. it was skin for sure, but by all mean i most certianly don't know everything about axolotls. And i just type fast thats why i make heaps of typos but i do know the correct spelling of axolotls.
i thought it was one teaspoon, glad to knwo my memory is right!
so u rcon the salt bath and fridge will help it heal even though its not fungus?
I looked at it yesterday and its lips were almiost healed but they were very red, like their was clots or lots of inflamation like blood circulation concentrated on the lip. What could cause this?
thanx

Teesha, what is the tank temperature and do they regularly test the water parameters?

When I saltbath I use 2-3 teaspoons per litre of water.

the reason i suggested 1 tea spoon is because it is to aid healing rather than get rid of fungus

I still use 2-3 teaspoons even if it isn't fungus related; only time I wouldn't use that much would be if any of my axies had peeling skin, thankfully they never have.

normal salt or sea salt? the water is cold....maybe 22 degreesish? ill check tommorow. maybe it is already sold....

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Teesha Vella on Thursday 15 February 2007 - 13:01 (#POST121631):</font>

the water is cold....maybe 22 degreesish<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> That's warm, I wouldn't consider it cold but i spose it's better than 24C+ Is it possible to get tank temperature down? Mind you it's probably combination of light and filter warming it up. Below 20 would be better.

I've used uniodised table salt, and table sea salt on occasions I've run out of aquarium/tonic salt, but it's usually been only about a day or so use.

(Message edited by kapo on February 15, 2007)

(Message edited by kapo on February 15, 2007)

also, are you/they able to test the water parameters? And does it share the tank with any other companions?

yes we are able to test. We put in 2 white clouds coz it wasnt eating, the fish are nwo gone. It seemed to have healed completely but we didn't do anything to help it like put it in the fridge or the salt because my manager doesn't care...shes mean. We did test the pH and it was fine, the others we didn't test, btu as i said it has healed up on its own so its all good now!
It was only really a minor injury i know axies are really good and healing...we probably shoudl have put it in the fridge but its ok now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back