HELP 'BOB' APPEARS TO BE DYING!!

A

alexa

My axolotl 'Bob' hasn't eaten for almost 3 weeks which I thought could have been because of the hot weather lately raising the temperature of his tank although it is in a cooler spot to previous summers so I am doubtful that it has become hot enough to bother him and it is usually in winter that he stops eating due to his metabolism slowing right down.

It was about a week and a half ago that I noticed him staying at the top of his tank for long periods of time. I didn't think much of it at first because he was still quite lively and swimming around - always at the top though. About 5 days ago I noticed he had slowed right down and wasn't moving around very much and was still at the top of his tank. I continued to try and feed him with no success and I tried placing him on the bottom of his tank to see if he would stay there but it was as if he couldn't keep himself down and would always float to the top. Last wednesday I had to go away to a horse show and I came back today (sunday) to find him at the top of his tank hardly moving and slightly rolled to one side. I gave him an epsom salt bath, fed him a pea which I had to slip into his mouth because he wouldn't eat and about 15 minutes ago I put him in the fridge. He has got substantially worse this afternoon. I read a lot of other threads where people said their axolotls were sick or floating but felt stiff. Bob however is unusually soft.
He is about 5 years old. I should probably add that about 2 months ago I was transferring him from his tank to another container whilst cleaning and he slipped and fell onto the ground and cut behind his gills. He didn't fall very far but was bleeding so I called the vet but eventually the blood clotted and he seemed fine. Also, in the last 5 months he has grown a funny growth behind one of his hind legs. It looks like his body has become confused and tried to grow another leg. It is probably about 5mm long.
I am really worried and I feel bad for leaving him alone for several days. He seems to be losing colour and his gills are hardly moving and are bent forwards slightly.
It seems like there isn't much hope but I really don't want to lose him and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Alexa,

I'm not sure what is wrong with your axi and I hope things work out for you.

All i can suggest is testing your water quality for amonia, nitrate, nitrite, PH etc. and Also in regards to the water temp, do you have a thermometer in the tank? As it is dangerous if the temp is regularily above 24 degrees.

Also make sure the water temp in the fridge is above 5 degrees as any lower can be harmful. I would suggest keeping him in the fridge until you see signs of improvement. (this will give you time to locate any probs with your tank as well, if any). Also keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge so when you do daily water changes you dont stress him with temperature changes.

I probably wouldnt worry about salt bathing if there are no outward signs of infection or fungus.

When my little ones were sick they became very fussy with there food, and refused to eat anything except mealworms. Have you tried temting him with different types of food? Try to feed him at night before the water changes and keep him out of the fridge before about an hour to warm up so he is more inclined to eat.

Thats all I can suggest at the moment as I have no idea what the growth could be. However I am sure others will have some great advice for you.

Good Luck with little Bob

Hi Alexa

When you do the 100% waterchange just pour enough water in to cover him so he doesn't float and his feet rest on the bottom.

Don't do the saltbaths and I agree with Susan test your tankwater for the things mentioned. If you don't have the test kits to test them take a sample of tankwater to your petshop, get them to test it and make sure they give you the results (don't accept normal or its okay, ask for the actual figures for each one)

I think it may be a combination of heat and possible water quatlity. When tankwater is warmer it has less oxygen in it; and if stressed or ill axies tend to not eat either

Are you able to take a photo of his extra "limb" and upload it here?

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Susan Edwards on Sunday 11 February 2007 - 11:44 (#POST120960):</font>

Try to feed him at night before the water changes and keep him out of the fridge before about an hour to warm up so he is more inclined to eat<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

If you warmed his container up each night, after being in the fridge, just to feed him then you will invariably cause him more stress through fluctuating temperatures; as your water will warm to room temperature, you'd try and feed him, then you use the cold dechlorinated water in his container and put him back in the fridge.

I think just keep him in the fridge for a few days before trying to feed him. If your fridge temperature is higher 8 degrees+ he may try and eat.

When he fell, were you transferring him by hand, container or net?

I've also never heard of an axie eating a pea, unless yours always has - what other foods have you tried him on or does he regularly eat when he does feed?

If you don't have a thermometer for your tank, get one. It is really important, as I'm sure you're aware. Trying to rely on it's in a cooler part of the house than it was previous summers doesn'r really let you know how warm the tank is and if it could be causing stress to your axie. My tanks are in shady rooms with fans blowing, we've been having very warm weather here definitely not as hot as Australia and our tanks have been ranging between 20-24 degrees.

Is your 5year old always lively and swimming round, our 1 and 4 year olds very rarely move unless its feeding time or they're stressed. Usually active swimming round in an adult axie could mean its' stressed. Our leucistics go pinky and occasionally swim madly round if they're stressed or startled. What colour type is Bob?

Last edited by a moderator:
i am also having a non eating axi problem ..minehas not eaten in like 4 to 5 weeks i have tried all different foods and feeding him seperatly,,i know my water is fine as i have 9 other axies in my large tank and today an axi is laying eggs which is always a good sign of a good tank setup...the doesnt seem to be the need of fridging him as i have a cooler on my tank and have turned down the temp a few times to see if it would help,,but no sucsess he has really got thin now..the only thing i can see is that some axis just decide when its their time and give up eating this did also happen to another axi of mine a couple of years ago...if any1 does have a suggestion i could try i am open to any ideas to save him,,many thanks

we have moved our lilly from a sml tank too a large 3ft tank 10 days ago she has not eaten in all this time, we are so stressed about her, we have changed the water 10% then 30% then 80% but the levels are still way too high. She moves about ok, but will not eat. Please help we love her too bits and don't want her too die. What do we need too do?

I'm assuming by the water levels being too high that you didn't cycle your tank before moving Lily.

Your tank when it is in the middle of cycling needs to be waterchanged daily 20=30% if you happen to have an axie in it, until it cycles.

By doing a 10%, then 30% then total 80% you have thrown your tank out again.

Just leave your tank as it is.

Do 20=30% daily waterchanges, this will keep ammonia/nitrite safe for Lily to reside in. Meanwhile, if you don't have a test kit, invest in one, preferably a master test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

What is your tank temperature? Have you had problems keeping the temperature below 24C?

Never do a large waterchange like you did with the 80%. The best ways to keep lower toxic levels is daily partial (30% maximum) waterchanges. Also, don't add any fish medicines or unnecessary chemicals, things to fix ammonia or nitrite, nitrate or pH levels. As they invariably can muck up your cycling/established tank. Many fish medicines are also toxic to axolotls.

Hi we moved our lilly from a small tank to a 3ft tank 11 days ago and she has noe eaten in all this time, we have changed the water 10% then 30% then 80%, but still the levels are to high, we bought her a friend 4 days ago he is great he is eating well. No matter what we do Lilly will not eat.Please help we are so stressed over her, we love her to bits and don't want her to die, she still swims well and is active.
artist.gif

Each animal is different and while there is some general advice that applies to all, this thread is fast becoming confusing. There are three different axolotls with eating problems mentioned here. It would help if everyone who needs help with their non-eating axolotl started a new thread.

June, I will move your last post to a new thread and give you a link on cooling your setup there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back