Ongoing problem - axie feet keep rotting

A

amy

for about a year, on and off, my axolotls have been having problems where their feet and, in the case of my golden albino, their whole legs just seem to rot away. their tails also seem to be doing this aswel now. i know they have parasitic problems with costia and they had problems with flukes which has been treated for with prazi on several ocassions but the costia we can't seem to shift. i've tried doing 100% water changes every 24 hours to get rid of them as this worked for the anchor worm they had but it doesn't seem to be working with the costia. and i don't know what medication i can and can't use for the costia problem that i haven't already used. i seem to have tried everything. i've tried some waterlife products, myxazin and i think octozin, some lifebearer, prazi, hydrogen peroxide swabs, salt dips, everything! what more can i do?

(Message edited by blinky000 on December 21, 2006)

My axolotl's legs fell off, too. I think he has a fungus and I'm treating for that by keeping him in the fridge and giving him salt-baths. But I'm not much of a help.

Good luck!

Limb rot can be caused by bacterial as well as viral infections. There is no treatment for viral infections, you just have to do everything you can to keep the axies healthy overall. It could be that the parasites are weakening the axies and making them more susceptible to this problem. The treatments also could be stressing them, and also making them susceptible.

When you medicate, do you put the medicine in the tank, or medicate in a separate container?

Have you gotten an official diagnosis of Costia from a vet? It's microscopic, so it's not something you can diagnose from appearance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back