What is this fluff

L

lee

our little roxy has got a white ball of fluff clinging to her gills, she's had it before a couple of times, each time it just falls off naturally so dont really think it is fungus. her tank is spotless and cant understand where this fluff is coming from. she doesn't look too bothered about it and she is still eating really well, just worrys me that it may be harming her, were giving her salt baths every day, any other recommendations on what it is and what to do about it. thanks.

forgot to mention, water quality has been tested and is fine. temp sitting at 15C

It could very well be fungus, fungus does fall off. Don't rely on the fact that if it falls off it's ok; especially if she's had it before and her wee immune system may be low.

Do the saltbaths twice a day.

thank we will do,with the salt baths how long will it take for the fungy to go away as the fungy is quite big on one side of he gills its the size of the end of your middle finger so quite large. and how many days do you do the baths for also to make sure is it 2 teaspoons of salt per 1 liter of water thank you.

its just came off in the second salt bath, do i have to carry on giving salt baths for a little while even tho it has came off. bless her she keeps getting us worried.

also may be a silly question but what causes it in the first place?

Can be a no. of things that could cause it. She may be weaker than your others and because she's had fungus previously may not have had time to get build her immune system up.

One of my babies, also called Roxie (diff sp) but she's over 30cm/15months, is always getting sick or fungus, had anaemia, stopped eating for 6.5weeks and has always been the weakest of the bunch; I assume because of her susceptibility to illness/fungus she has a lowered immune system.

With our current weather fluctuating recently between winter/summer type weather she's developed fungus yet again. So she's in "the hospital" (fridge) as the kids call it getting "medicine" (salt baths!) regularly.

I would continue with the saltbaths for the rest of the week to be on the safe side.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back