Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sudden Death??????

C

chris

Can anyone help me out here??? Im in a major panic. One of my adults, just turned one year old, has suddenly got very ill. She has been in a nice big tank with another three that have been laying eggs over the past couple of months. A couple of days ago she stared to look like she was about to do the same, sitting in the plants and stuff, but today i found her on the bottom of the tank on her side not moving. She doesnt seem to be dead yet but I dont know what is going on. There are no obvious signs of anything strange on her. The water tested ok and the other three are fine!

kapo

Reaction score
Separate her from the others - if you have a spare tank put her in that or just a plastic container that she fits in full length.

Use dechlorinated water and lower the water so she doesn't flip onto her side or upside down.

Are you sure she hasn't been egg laying as well over the last few months (they can start under a year) and just didn't see it - she may be stressed? Sounds like a friend's axie that got stressed from egg laying before she was fully mature (she'd laid 2 batches within a few weeks of each. He had to separate her and look after her.

Keep her in the container separated and do complete daily waterchanges.

Are there any other tank companions apart from other axolotls?

J

jennifer

Does the tank contain gravel, which may have been ingested?

C

chris

She hasn't been laying any eggs herself. I have already put her in another tank. The main tank is a mixture of sand and very fine gravel. she doesn't look well at all. Not moved for ages. when i moved her to the other tank she only twitched a little.

C

chris

looks like she has passed away today. everyone else in the tank she was in looks fine but im not sure if they might get whatever killed her. were all very sad here today.

C

chris

Does anyone know if this might be a tank issue. I don't want to loose them all.

kapo

Reaction score
what were your tankwater readings?

C

chris

They all came in normal. I have been using a different gravel that seems to be stagnating more than the sand i had been using.

C

chris

I done water changes every day since my Clause(RIP) got sick. Im getting a little stressed out now as Stitch, her brother, seems really down. He is the only one in the tank now that wont eat.

C

chris

please help!
i came home from work, and now Stitch is dead too! someone please tell me what is going on!

kapo

Reaction score
Really no idea if the tank readings were normal, by normal I'm assuming you mean your ammonia/nitrite were 0 and nitrate levels were in the 5-80ppm range. Only thing I can suggest is that you remove the surviving axolotls from the tank for the moment and put them in fresh dechlorinated water and change them daily; if you don't have a spare tank, put them in a bucket or plastic storage bin and put something on top if you have a cat.

Did you test the tankwater, if you did, maybe take a sample of tankwater to the petshop and get them to test it for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and pH, in case your test kit is faulty (can happen).

Are there any other tank companions in the tank? Have you added anything to the tank within the past couple of weeks and/or how long have you had your tank established and how long have you had your axies?

C

chris

HELP. Stich looks like he has died now. He hasn't eaten since Clause left us and I just got in and found him floating on his side looking dead. He is in the fridge now but i think he is dead.

kapo

Reaction score
Chris, remove your remaining axolotls from the tankwater and put them in a bucket of dechlorinated water then read my previous post.

Also regarding Stich, is he still on side? Are you able to turn him over so he's on his feet and keep the water level low to tray and stop him turning over?

C

chris

im getting a spare tank i have set up now for my golds. I have lowered the water with stich but he just keeps rolling onto his side. (sorry for the multipe posts of the same thing my other half added on e from another pc that i didint see)
The water tests came in with 0 for ammonia and nitrite and the nitrate was ok. My two golds seem ok as they are eating etc but im going to move them all the same.

kapo

Reaction score
Chris, just a thought, anyone sprayed anything round your tank, ie: insecticide/perfume/deo spray or put their hands in the tankwater with any soap/perfume/other residue? My friend called this morning, 3 of his adult axies died during the night (his mum is visiting and sprayed the room the tanks are in after he went to bed, without thinking, because of the mosquitoes)

C

chris

Nothing has been done out of the ordinary. I do all of my tanks at the same time and I have another one at the other end of the room with 5 juveniles in and they seem fine. If it was something airborn I would have expected them to be acting up quicker than the adults.

K

karrie

Do you think you might of fed them some thing that was bad or maybe a feeder fish that had some thing?

kapo

Reaction score
Sorry Chris couldn't be of further help, but keep an eye on your goldens, which I assume are the egg layers!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1