Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotle changing coulour

L

lee

is it normal for a wild type axolotl to go paler he was a very dark brown and today he looks like he is a light brown is this normal and any thing to worry about also the temp in the tank is between 19 and 20c which aint to bad and do regaler water changes 2 or 3 times a week tested the water and thats fine they always used to eat every day but the last couple of weeks they av been eating every other day is that normal or is it because there growing up.they both float at times but i think that is normal also gulp for air at the top of the water sorry bout all the questions just want to know if there ok as i love all my 3 to bits

L

lee

both are about a year old 10 incs hope there ok the other one is 7incs bout 8 months old but in another tank but that one is doing fine

L

lee

please can some one reply im worried about my little ones is my questions any thing to worry about

K

karrie

I know with my golden his gills get litter when he dosen't move. When he get moving around they get real pink. I think some one on here saying that their wild got lighter with age. When I got my golden he was solid white now he's golden. I think as long has he dosen't have fungus or some thing I think he is fine. Could he of changed colour over a little time and you just noticed it cause you used to seeing he every day? Gulping air a few times a day is fine eating is fine also. Mine changes when he wants to eat last week he ate 3 cubes a day for 3 straight he's about 9 inches he goes sprits.

L

lee

thanks for the repy thats stoped me worring a bit i had an idea its because he is getting older but just wanted to make sure they have just had some meal worms 2 each also give them food at night just wanted to see if they would eat thats why i gave them food this morning but i usely feed them every nite eg dillies (fish) shrimp meal worms some times blood worm so they have a chose.how long have you had your axi for. thanx again for your repy

K

karrie

My big guy for about 8 months my new little babies about a month. I would just keep a close eye on him as long as he is eating acting normal I wouldn't worry to much. When I first got cracker pet shop told me to put him in tropical tank. He was in with clown loaches barbs you know the type that can be mean ate all his gill wasen't eating. Now he eats like a pig and is huge with the right care. Gills look better then when I got him.

kapo

Reaction score
when feeding mealworms, do you chop the head off first?

L

lee

when i feed them meal worm i dont chop the heads off whys that can the had harm them thats all they seem to eat at the moment keep trying them diffrent things but they dont want to know most of the time. but to day they look quite happy so i aint gona worry at the min and temp as gone down to 18c

L

lee

how many maby have you got karrie and did you raise them from eggs i had 300 now got 24 and there looking well just a couple of bum floters

K

karrie

Just the one big guy and 2 babies about 2 1/2 -3 inches I bought all 3.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1