Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent Help needed!

J

jade.

over the school holidays i've noticed that my dark melanoid, Kenghis hasnt been looking well.
his skin is peeling in some parts, his colour isnt really, really dark anymore and there is the one thing i am really worried about, for a few weeks now he has been having clear-white/grey goo coming out of his cloaca, his cloaca has swollen too, and through the good in his cloaca i can see red. whats happening? im starting to think that he is litterly pooing his insides out. his cloaca has swallwen lots and his tail seems to becoming smaller, same with his fins.

please help, i really love him, and i dont want to lose him.

kapo

Reaction score
Jade, have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at all? Also, what is your tank temperature?

I think you should remove him from the tank and place him in container of dechlorinated water and put him in the fridge. The peeling skin may be to do with water quality, not too sure about the cloacal region but that may calm down if he is able to be put in the fridge.

If you don't have test kits to test the water, try and get a sample of tankwater and take it to a petshop and get them to test the water and write them down for you.

If ammonia/nitrite are above 0, then do daily partial 20-30% water changes on your tank, and this should bring levels down.

If you are having problems with the tank temperature, keeping it below 24degrees, putting your axie in the fridge will relieve both him and you of a little bit of stress.

J

jade.

i should of posted weeks ago
sad.gif
when i woke up this morning he was on his back, dead. i feel terrible that i didn't realize it was serious. im just glad that he died while i was sleeping, if i had watched him died... well i would've felt alot more guilty.

R.I.P Kenghis, he will be missed.

kapo

Reaction score
sorry to hear about that Jade, I missed this last night otherwise would have responded then.
sad.gif

K

kellie

Sorry to hear about Kenghis. I lost my baby, Crunchie only a week ago, he'd been in the fridge because his cloaca was swollen and when I checked on him, he was gone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1