Is Crunchie sick?

K

kellie

Last night I noticed Crunchie laying on his side not moving, after about 2 or 3 minutes he flipped back onto his belly but stayed still. Anyway, he's moving again, albeit very slow and sluggish. I noticed the thing were eggs/sperm comes from is red and swollen. He seems to have paled in colour too, but just around his top half, tail still colourful. Please help, I dont want to lose Crunchie after such a short time.

Might pay to move Crunchie to the fridge, place him in the container of dechlorinated/water conditioned water. Lower the water to just above his fin, so his feet rest on the bottom and he doesn't float. Place a lid on, wrap in a teatowel and place in the fridge. Also, put a separate container of dechlorinated water or bottled dechlorinated water into the fridge at same time, as you will need to do 100% daily waterchanges. This will slow his metabolism down and enable him to calm down and possibly get better.

What is your tank temperature and have you tested your tankwater at all?

Not sure of temp, but am taking water to be tested right now, i will post results asap.

Bought thermoter to keep an eye on temp, water test results are fine. Ammonia 0, ph 6.7-6.8 not sure of exact readings for nitrite or nitrate but was told they're perfect. Crunchie is in the fridge now.

Not too sure, I noticed something similar on one of my sister's male axies, it's cloaca, then noticed he'd laid spermataphore in the tank but somehow doubt it could be that; as his one looked fine after a while. I hope he improves though

Bought melafix to put in water, Crunchie now back in tank, but temp is 25 degrees and frozen water bottles not working, what else can i do?

Not the best photo, but its the best I could get of his cloaca. Can anybody tell what might be wrong?
77385.jpg

Crunchie is now back in fridge as I am worried about the temp in the tank, its currently sitting at 25 degrees. I got it down from 28 with ice bottles but it wont drop any lower and the ice is melting too quick. How well does a fan work? And how long is it safe to keep Crunchie in the fridge?

he may possibly have a blockage which might the strain of trying to get it out - bit like constipation (just a thought); I have seen something similar on the forum, but can't remember who started the thread you might have to do a search of the forum for cloaca/ open cloaca or something similar.

If you are having problems with keeping your tank temperature down you could keep your axie in the fridge for a lot longer than just until he improves. A few people on this forum have kept their animals in the fridge during the whole of summer, someone in Norway/Denmark did, only removing it when it cooled down in Autumn. There has also been mention of removing the vegie bin and putting a small tank in that part of the fridge.

A fan will will bring the tank down a degree or two. If you were able to move your tank to the coolest part of the house, keep the curtains shut or away from any direct light/heat sources (ie windows/lamps) and keep it lower on the floor which will also aid it in keeping cool.

How can I help if he has a bloackage? It looks so painful. Moving the tank not really an option, no part of the house is cooler than the other. I might have to try the fan idea.

Leave him in the fridge for the moment, the cloaca may go down and/or if there is a blockage it may come out.

Took Crunchie out of fridge to change water to find he'd passed away. RIP Crunchie
sad.gif

Whats the best way to dispose of his body? (that sounds bad), but I cant look at him anymore, I keep bursting into tears. I've decided his unreplacable so am going to get some yabbies instead. Crunchie's in axolotl heaven now RIP

Oh no, sorry to hear about that Kellie
sad.gif

Crunchie has now gone to heaven and I decided I wanted another one, so took him back to the shop I got him from and they replaced him. I got a wildtype. Not sure of age or gender, but he/she is about 10cm. I'll get some photos as soon as he/she is settled. Looks alot healthier than Crunchie was when I got him, the wildtypes gills are alot fluffier and seems more active. Any ideas for names? I was thinking Freckles, but am open to more ideas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back