Advice needed on strange toe

J

john

Before I do anything too hasty I would like to know if anyone has come across this or can advise on what they think the problem is and how to deal with it.

This is a picture of Tomo's right rear foot.
77178.jpg

Notice on the end of the toe is a big dolop of white stuff. Is this a problem?
And also it looks like this toe is substantially bigger than any other toe on any foot.

that's probably fungus. it's the axies middle toe, so it would be bigger anyway (just like our middle fingers) but yes, it does look a little swolen. If you give it a 100% salt bath (2 or 3 teaspoons of salt per litre of water) for 10 mins (the salt can be harmful if you leave it your axie there any longer) twice a day, morning and night, for 3 days and it should be better. if not then leave another post and people will get to you

Before I got the chance to do any bath treatment it appears to have fallen off.
77271.jpg

It looks as if the tip of the toe has gone too.
So I think perhaps he may have had an accident with his toe and maybe it is clearing up.

just keep an eye on it and if fungus develops over any other part of his foot, start the salt baths Shaun mentioned.

BTW are you having any problems keeping the tank temperature down?

I haven't checked temp.

I will get a thermometer because it has been quite hot as of late.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back