Missing Gills & Floating Problem

A

anneleis

Sorry this might be a bit long...I recently rescued an axolotl from an aquarium store as I felt sorry for her - she was very skinny & had gill damage at the time, (I was told that was caused by another axolotl attacking her, but at the time I thought it could have been fungus). I kept her in a container in the fridge for a few days to monitor her before placing her in the tank with my other axolotl - (Dortalotl). Her gills didn't seem to be any worse so I put her in the tank with Dortalotl. I noticed after a day or so that her gills did infact have fungus. I treated her in a container in the fridge with Mecurochrome for 72 hours - it cured the fungus but the damaged gills came off with the fungus - leaving her completely gill-less on one side. I put her back in the tank only to find her with tail damage & fungus on her tail. I again cured her in the fridge with Mecurochrome the fungus came off as did the damaged skin on her tail. I left her in the fridge in clean water for a few more days then put her back in the tank with Dortalotl. She (the new axie) started floating around the surface, I kept my eye on her for a few hours and decided she was stressed by the floating so back in the fridge she went. After another few days in the fridge, I put her back in the tank last night. After about an hour she started floating again so she is back in the fridge. I have checked The Ammonia, Nitrite & Nitrate in the tank- all are fine. I have also recently purchased a chiller so the water Temp is always between 17 & 18 degrees celcius. The temperature in the fridge is about 13 degrees as I have placed her container in the bottom of the frodge & wrapped a towel around it. She is eating well & I think her gills are growing back slowly. I am just concerned about the floating, I have invested alot of time & emotion nursing her, can anyone advise me if the floating could be linked to the missing gills or the ongoing fungus attacks?

The floating could be linked to her lack of gills. Just keep her in the fridge and as long as she's happy and eating, I'd leave her there for the moment.

On another note, when you do remove her, place her in another tank or temporary tank (ie plastic bucket with lid or storage container). You should quarantine any new axie companion for 30 days, in case Dortalotl catches something or gets sick.

I agree, the lack of gills can cause them to gulp air, and that can cause floating.

I have an idea that might work. Can you make a floating container that would sit on the surface of the (chilled) tank? This would allow the new axie to be at the chilled temperature, but in a place where you can feed it more easily than in the fridge. It would also keep it separated from the older axie, who might like to munch on its appendages. You need to get it eating if it's going to have a chance to recover. Good luck!

I thought the lack of gills would be contributing to the floating... Thank you both for the advice -I will try to make a floating tank in the top of the chilled tank. In future I will quarantine any new axies for 30 days - I rushed a bit this time as it has been hot in Sydney and I wanted to get the new Axie into the chilled tank (I feel uncomfortable putting them in the fridge)!!
As she is only young do you think she has a good chance of regrowing her gills completely??

hey what are you feeding the little axie i have four little axies (all so saved from horrible pet store) and i find that live food goes down much easier than frozen. i use live mosquito fry

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back